Identification and Isolation of Regulatory B Cells in Mouse and Human
Regulatory B cells (Bregs) suppress immune response via the provision of IL-10. Due to the phenotypic heterogeneity of described Bregs, it is important to have standardized protocols for their isolation and identification. Previous work by our laboratory has shown that the immature B-cell populations in the murine spleen and human peripheral blood produce the highest levels of IL-10 on engagement of CD40, and can suppress pro-inflammatory T-cell differentiation. In this chapter, we describe the methods necessary for the isolation of this subset of Bregs and their activation via CD40 in vitro.
Key wordsRegulatory B cells Inflammation IL-10 T2-MZP B cells Immature B cells CD40
We would like to thank Dr. Paul Blair for his constructive criticism of the manuscript. Madhvi Menon is funded by a Wellcome Trust PhD studentship (090406/Z/09/Z). Elizabeth C. Rosser was funded by an Arthritis Research UK PhD studentship (MP/19314).
- 1.Mauri C, Bosma A (2012) Immune regulatory function of B cells. Annu Rev Immunol 30:221–241. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-immunol-020711-074934 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Mauri C and Menon M 2015. The expanding family of regulatory B cells. Int Immunol, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 479–486Google Scholar
- 4.Miles K, Heaney J, Sibinska Z, Salter D, Savill J, Gray D, Gray M (2012) A tolerogenic role for toll-like receptor 9 is revealed by B-cell interaction with DNA complexes expressed on apoptotic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109(3):887–892. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1109173109 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Ding Q, Yeung M, Camirand G, Zeng Q, Akiba H, Yagita H, Chalasani G, Sayegh MH, Najafian N, Rothstein DM (2011) Regulatory B cells are identified by expression of TIM-1 and can be induced through TIM-1 ligation to promote tolerance in mice. J Clin Invest 121(9):3645–3656. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI46274 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Blair PA, Norena LY, Flores-Borja F, Rawlings DJ, Isenberg DA, Ehrenstein MR, Mauri C (2010) CD19(+)CD24(hi)CD38(hi) B cells exhibit regulatory capacity in healthy individuals but are functionally impaired in systemic lupus Erythematosus patients. Immunity 32(1):129–140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.immuni.2009.11.009 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Iwata Y, Matsushita T, Horikawa M, Dilillo DJ, Yanaba K, Venturi GM, Szabolcs PM, Bernstein SH, Magro CM, Williams AD, Hall RP, St Clair EW, Tedder TF (2011) Characterization of a rare IL-10-competent B-cell subset in humans that parallels mouse regulatory B10 cells. Blood 117(2):530–541. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2010-07-294249 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar