Procurement, Storage, and Use of Blood in Biobanks
Blood is a widely used biospecimen in the field of biobanking, secondary to the ease with which it is collected along with the wide variety of analytes obtained from it for analysis. It carries the potential to further the search for biomarkers in countless diseases; therefore, the standardization and optimization of blood collection procedures is of importance in assuring reproducibility of results. Here, we briefly review procedures for the procurement, storage, and use of blood and its fractions for biobanking purposes. Select commonly used methods for collecting blood with various vacutainer blood collection tubes are described, along with optimal storage conditions of various samples in short- and long-term situations.
Key wordsBlood Biobanking Procurement Storage Plasma Serum Biomarkers Biospecimen DNA
This work was supported in part by NIH:NCI P50-CA211015, NIH:NIMH U24 MH100929, the Art of the Brain Foundation, and the Henry E. Singleton Brain Cancer Research Program.
- 3.Early Detection Research Network (n.d.) The early detection research network (EDRN) standard operating procedure (SOP) for collection of EDTA plasma. https://edrn.nci.nih.gov/resources/standard-operating-procedures/standard-operating-procedures/
- 4.Becton, Dickinson and Company (2010) BD vacutainer venous blood collection tube guide. https://www.bd.com/vacutainer/pdfs/plus_plastic_tubes_wallchart_tubeguide_VS5229.pdf
- 5.Vaught JB (2006) Blood collection, shipment, processing, and storage. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0630
- 6.Tolonen H, Kuulasmaa K, Laatikainen T (2002) Chapter 4: Blood; Recommendation for indicators, international collaboration, protocol and manual of operations for chronic disease risk factor surveys; European Health Risk Monitoring (EHRM). http://www.thl.fi/publications/ehrm/product2/part_iii4.htm
- 9.Early Detection Research Network (n.d.) The early detection research network (EDRN) standard operating procedure (SOP) for collection of serum. https://edrn.nci.nih.gov/resources/standard-operating-procedures/standard-operating-procedures/