An Introduction to Hardware, Software, and Other Information Technology Needs of Biomedical Biobanks
Biobanks support medical research by facilitating access to biospecimens. Biospecimens that are linked to clinical and molecular information are particularly useful for translational biomedical research. Tracking and managing the biospecimens and their associated data are therefore crucial tasks in the functioning of a biobank. Adequate computing hardware, efficient and comprehensive biobanking software, and cost-effective data storage are needed for proper management of biospecimens. As biobanks build up extensive stores of specimens and patient data, ethical considerations also inevitably arise. Herein, we describe some basic considerations for establishing a biobanking information technology infrastructure that a beginning biobanker needs. Finally, we also discuss trends and future needs in biobanking informatics.
Key wordsBiobank Biorepository Information technology Hardware Software Database Informatics
This work was supported in part by NIH:NCI P50-CA211015, NIH:NIMH U24 MH100929, the Art of the Brain Foundation, and the Henry E. Singleton Brain Cancer Research Program.
- 1.Helpton S (2013) How to create a server failover solution. http://www.howto-expert.com/how-to-create-a-server-failover-solution/. Accessed 15 Mar 2016
- 2.Schreier P (2008) Biosample storage. http://www.scientific-computing.com/features/feature.php?feature_id=195. Accessed 2 Mar 2016
- 3.Ball L, Brunner BJ, Chandrasekaran S (2015) Building an intelligent biobank to power research decision-marking. http://docplayer.net/3853972-Building-an-intelligent-biobank-to-power-research-decision-making.html. Accessed 3 Mar 2016
- 4.Joyce JR (2010) Will biobanking change the world? http://www.scientificcomputing.com/articles/2010/06/will-biobanking-change-world. Accessed 2 Mar 2016
- 5.Lou JJ, Andrechak G, Riben M, Yong WH (2011) A review of radio frequency identification technology for the anatomic pathology or biorepository laboratory: much promise, some progress, and more work needed. J Pathol Inform 2:34. https://doi.org/10.4103/2153-3539.83738CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Brooks C (2014) 8 tips on picking the right cloud storage provider. http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/6375-tips-on-picking-cloud-storage.html. Accessed 29 Mar 2016
- 7.Eydeler K (2013) Why cloud-based LIMS is ideal for biobanking. http://www.shonan-village.co.jp/anrrc2013/pdf/S2-1.pdf. Accessed 3 Mar 2016
- 8.Blackman G (2010) A booming banking sector. http://www.scientific-computing.com/features/feature.php?feature_id=270. Accessed 3 Mar 2016
- 10.May M (2013) Better features for biobanks. http://www.biosciencetechnology.com/articles/2013/01/better-features-biobanks. Accessed 4 Mar 2016