Recombinant Methioninase as a DNA Demethylation Agent
This chapter reviews the effect of methionine (MET) restriction, via treatment with recombinant methioninase (rMETase), on DNA methylation of cancer cells. CCRF-CEM human cancer cells were treated with rMETase under subcytotoxic conditions. The rMETase-treated cells contained significantly lower levels of genomic methylated DNA than did untreated control cells. DNA methylation was measured by incorporation of the methyl group of [3H]methyl-S-adenosylmethionine into DNA and by methylation-sensitive arbitrarily-primed PCR. DNA hypomethylation effected by rMETase was of similar extent to that effected by treatment of the cells with the DNA methyltransferase inhibitor 5-azacytidine.
Key wordsRecombinant methioninase Cancer cells DNA hypomethylation Malignancy
- 4.Mudbhary R, Hoshida Y, Chernyavskaya Y, Jacob V, Villanueva A, Fiel MI, Chen X, Kojima K, Thung S, Bronson RT, Lachenmayer A, Revill K, Alsinet C, Sachidanandam R, Desai A, Senbanerjee S, Ukomadu C, Llovet JM, Sadler KC (2014) UHRF1 overexpression drives DNA hypomethylation and hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Cell 25:196–209CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Leodolter A, Alonso S, González B, Ebert MP, Vieth M, Röcken C, Wex T, Peitz U, Malfertheiner P, Perucho M (2015) Somatic DNA hypomethylation in H. pylori-associated high-risk gastritis and gastric cancer: enhanced somatic hypomethylation associates with advanced stage cancer. Clin Transl Gastroenterol 6:e85CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Murakami T, Li S, Han Q, Tan Y, Kiyuna T, Igarashi K, Kawaguchi K, Hwang HK, Miyaki K, Singh AS, Nelson SD, Dry SM, Li Y, Hiroshima Y, Lwin TM, DeLong JC, Chishima T, Tanaka K, Bouvet M, Endo I, Eilber FC, Hoffman RM (2017) Recombinant methioninase effectively targets a Ewing’s sarcoma in a patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) nude mouse model. Oncotarget 8:35630–35638PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Machover D, Zittoun J, Saffroy R, Broët P, Giraudier S, Magnaldo T, Goldschmidt E, Debuire B, Orrico M, Tan Y, Mishal Z, Chevallier O, Tonetti C, Jouault H, Ulusakarya A, Tanguy ML, Metzger G, Hoffman RM (2002) Treatment of cancer cells with methioninase produces DNA hypomethylation and increases DNA synthesis. Cancer Res 62:4685–4689PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Sambrook J, Russell DW (2000) Isolation of high-molecular-weight DNA from mammalian cells using proteinase K and phenol. In: Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, vol 1, 3rd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, pp 6.4–6.12Google Scholar