Genetic Modification of Grapevine Embryogenic Cultures
Precision breeding is an approach to grapevine genetic improvement that transfers only specific traits among sexually compatible species via the relatively stable mitotic cell division pathway in order to avoid the significant disruption imposed upon conventional breeding by meiosis. Factors enabling precision breeding include the availability of the Vitis genome sequence combined with highly optimized gene insertion and plant regeneration protocols. A protocol for the production of grapevine embryogenic cultures and their genetic transformation is described. Embryogenic cultures are produced from either leaf or floral explants. Somatic embryos at the cotyledonary stage of development are used for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation. Following co-cultivation with Agrobacterium containing the genes of interest, modified embryos are selected on the basis of anthocyanin pigmentation and antibiotic resistance. Somatic embryos are then germinated to produce modified plants that are hardened and transferred to a greenhouse. The presence of the genes of interest is confirmed by PCR.
Key wordsVitis Somatic embryogenesis Agrobacterium Transgenic plants Transgenes Culture medium Growth regulators Plant tissue culture
S. A. Dhekney holds the E.A Whitney Endowed Professorship in the Department of Plant Sciences. M. Brungart-Rosenberg and C. Claflin were supported in part by a grant from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (2P20GM103432) from the National Institute of Health. The research was supported in part by the Wyoming Agricultural Experiment Station and grants from the USDA/USAID US-Egypt Science and Technology Development Funds program (Grant No. 0210-22310-005-24G).
- 1.FAOSTAT (2014) Faostat.fao.org
- 2.Grapes, wine fuel US economy (2007) Food and Drink Weekly 1Google Scholar
- 3.Olmo HP (1942) Choice of parents as influencing seed germination in fruits. J Am Soc Hortic Sci 41:171–175Google Scholar
- 4.Einset J, Pratt C (1975) Grapes. In: Moore JN, Janick J (eds) Advances in fruit breeding. Purdue University Press, Lafayette, INGoogle Scholar
- 7.Gray DJ, Li ZT, Grant TNL, Dean DA, Dhekney SA (2016) The new biology of precision breeding. P-20. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11626-016-0034-0
- 15.Dhekney SA, Li ZT, Compton ME, Gray DJ (2009) Optimizing initiation and maintenance of Vitis embryogenic cultures. Hortscience 44:1400–1406Google Scholar
- 20.Dhekney SA, Li ZT, Zimmerman TW, Gray DJ (2009b) Factors influencing genetic transformation and plant regeneration of Vitis. Am J Enol Vitic 60:285–292Google Scholar
- 25.Driver JA, Kuniyuki AH (1984) In vitro propagation of Paradox walnut rootstock. HortScience 19:507–509Google Scholar