Processing of Surgical Specimen (Esophagogastrectomy) for Esophageal Adenocarcinoma
An esophagogastrectomy is a surgical procedure that is performed for treatment of confirmed localized esophageal and esophagogastric junction adenocarcinoma. Proper macroscopic assessment and cut-up technique is essential to ensure that the overall assessment is correct and reproducible. Here, we describe a standard for macroscopic assessment and dissection to be used for routine handling of esophagogastrectomy specimens in the clinical laboratory.
Key wordsEsophageal adenocarcinoma Macroscopic Handling Cut up Esophagogastrectomy Esophagectomy
- 1.Mapstone NP (2007) Dataset for the histopathological reporting of esophageal carcinoma. The Royal College of Pathologists, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 2.Lester S (2010) Manual of surgical pathology. Saunders Elsevier, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kumarasinghe MP, Brown IS, Charlton A, De Boer B, Eckstein R, Epari K, Gill A, Lam A, Lauwers G, Raftopoulos S, Price T (2013) Tumours of the esophagus and gastro-esophageal junction structured reported protocol, 1st edn, Published on web by Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia. http://www.rcpa.edu.au//Library/Practising-Pathology/Structured-Pathology-Reporting-of-Cancer/Cancer-Protocols
- 11.Aida J, Vieth M, Ell C, May A, Pech O, Hoshihara Y, Kumagai Y, Kawada K, Hishima T, Taitishi Y, Sawabe M, Arai T, Matsuura M, Takubo K (2011) Palisade vessels as a new histologic marker of esophageal origin in ER specimens from columnar-lined esophagus. Am J Surg Pathol 35:1140–1145CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Amin M, Edge S, Greene F, Byrd D, Brookland R, Washington M, Gershenwald J, Compton C, Hess K, Sullivan D, Jessup J, Brierley J, Gaspar L, Schilsky R, Balch C, Winchester D, Asare E, Madera M, Gress D, Meyer L (eds) (2017) AJCC cancer staging manual, 8th edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar