Use of tRNA-Mediated Suppression to Assess RNA Chaperone Function
- 262 Downloads
La proteins have well-established roles in the maturation of RNA polymerase III transcripts, including pre-tRNAs. In addition to protecting the 3′ end of pre-tRNAs from exonuclease digestion, La proteins also promote the native fold of the pre-tRNA using RNA chaperone activity. tRNA-mediated suppression in the fission yeast S. pombe has been an invaluable tool in determining the mechanistic basis by which La proteins promote the maturation of defective pre-tRNAs that benefit from RNA chaperone activity. More recently, tRNA-mediated suppression has been adapted to test for RNA chaperone function in the La-related proteins and in the promoting of tRNA function by tRNA modification enzymes. Thus tRNA-mediated suppression can be a useful assay for the investigation of various proteins hypothesized to promote tRNA folding through RNA chaperone related activities.
Key wordsRNA chaperone assay Yeast tRNA processing Nonsense suppression Folding Northern blotting Lithium acetate transformation La and La-related proteins (LARPs) tRNA modifications 3′ end protection
We thank R. Maraia, R. Intine, Y. Huang, A. Sakulich, S. Koduru, S. Hasson, A. Mozlin, J. Mazeika, R. Hussain, A. Vakiloroayaei, and A. Naeeni for their assistance in the development of tRNA-mediated suppression and its use in assessment of RNA chaperone function. We also thank R. Maraia for critical reading of the manuscript. This work is supported by a Discovery Grant from the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada to MA Bayfield and an NSERC CGS-M scholarship to J Porat.
- 1.Rajkowitsch L, Semrad K, Mayer O, Schroeder R (2005) Assays for the RNA chaperone activity of proteins. Biochem Soc Trans. https://doi.org/10.1042/BST0330450
- 2.Clodi E, Semrad K, Schroeder R (1999) Assaying RNA chaperone activity in vivo using a novel RNA folding trap. EMBO J. https://doi.org/10.1093/emboj/18.13.3776
- 3.Phadtare S, Severinov K, Inouye M (2003) Assay of transcription antitermination by proteins of the CspA family. Methods Enzymol. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(03)71034-9
- 4.Yoo CJ, Wolin SL (1997) The yeast La protein is required for the 3′ endonucleolytic cleavage that matures tRNA precursors. Cell. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(00)80220-2
- 5.Naeeni AR, Conte MR, Bayfield MA (2012) RNA chaperone activity of human La protein is mediated by variant RNA recognition motif. J Biol Chem. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M111.276071
- 9.Costa-Mattioli M, Svitkin Y, Sonenberg N (2004) La autoantigen is necessary for optimal function of the poliovirus and hepatitis C virus internal ribosome entry site in vivo and in vitro. Mol Cell Biol. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.24.15.6861-6870.2004
- 12.Rijal K, Maraia RJ, Arimbasseri AG (2015) A methods review on use of nonsense suppression to study 3′ end formation and other aspects of tRNA biogenesis. Gene. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2014.11.034
- 13.Koukuntla R, Ramsey WJ, Young WB, Link CJ (2013) U6 promoter-enhanced GlnUAG suppressor tRNA has higher suppression efficacy and can be stably expressed in 293 cells. J Gene Med. https://doi.org/10.1002/jgm.2696
- 14.Szankasi P, Heyer WD, Schuchert P, Kohli J (1988) DNA sequence analysis of the ade6 gene of Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Wild-type and mutant alleles including the recombination hot spot allele ade6-M26. J Mol Biol. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-2836(88)90051-4
- 15.Hussain RH, Zawawi M, Bayfield MA (2013) Conservation of RNA chaperone activity of the human La-related proteins 4, 6 and 7. Nucleic Acids Res. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkt649
- 18.Van Horn DJ, Yoo CJ, Xue D, Shi H, Wolin SL (1997) The La protein in Schizosaccharomyces pombe: a conserved yet dispensable phosphoprotein that functions in tRNA maturation. RNA (New York, NY). https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.241422.114