Plant-Associated Microbes Alter Root Growth by Modulating Root Apical Meristem
Rhizobacteria are known to produce a variety of signal molecules which may modify plant growth by interfering with phytohormone balance. Among the microbial signals are phytohormones, known to contribute to plant endogenous pool of phytohormones. The current chapter describes different methods to study the regulation of gene expression in root apical meristem in response to rhizobacterial inoculation. We describe protocol for the detection of in planta modulation of CKs and IAA by rhizobacteria and their impact on root growth, dissecting the underlying plant signaling pathway by RNA sequencing.
Key wordsRAM Cytokinins Auxin Rhizobacteria Root growth
- 1.Sheridan C, Depuydt P, De Ro M, Petit C, Van Gysegem E, Delaere P, Dixon M, Stasiak M, Aciksöz SB, Frossard E et al (2017) Microbial community dynamics and response to plant growth-promoting microorganisms in the rhizosphere of four common food crops cultivated in hydroponics. Microb Ecol 73:378–393CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Lawlis T, Parker J, Green A (2017) The effects of auxin on plant growth to apical meristem and varying effects of light intensities. The effects of auxin on plant growth to apical meristem and varying effects of light intensitiesGoogle Scholar
- 14.Pérez-Flores P, Valencia-Cantero E, Altamirano-Hernández J, Pelagio-Flores R, López-Bucio J, García-Juárez P, Macías-Rodríguez L (2017) Bacillus methylotrophicus M4-96 isolated from maize (Zea mays) rhizoplane increases growth and auxin content in Arabidopsis thaliana via emission of volatiles. Protoplasma:1–13Google Scholar
- 16.Verma SK, Kingsley K, Bergen M, English C, Elmore M, Kharwar RN, White JF (2017) Bacterial endophytes from rice cut grass (Leersia oryzoides L.) increase growth, promote root gravitropic response, stimulate root hair formation, and protect rice seedlings from disease. Plant Soil:1–16Google Scholar
- 17.Hussain A, Ullah I, Hasnain S (2017) Microbial manipulation of auxins and cytokinins in plants. Aux Cyto Plant Biol:61–72Google Scholar