The History of Stormwater Management and Background for Artful Rainwater Design
- 1.7k Downloads
Although rainwater has been considered a resource in agricultural contexts for millennia, in urban contexts it has historically been considered a waste product. With some exceptions in historical management strategies, urban rainwater was treated as a problem to be mitigated, a waste product to be eliminated or controlled.
KeywordsGreen Infrastructure Stormwater Runoff Stormwater Management Urban Stormwater Landscape Architecture
- Carson, R. 1962. Silent Spring. New York: Houghton Mifflin.Google Scholar
- CIRIA. 2007. The SUDS Manual C697. Construction Industry Research and Information Association. http://www.ciria.org/service/AM/ContentManagerNet/Search/SearchDisplay.aspx?Section=Search1&FormName=SearchForm1.
- Coffman, L. 2000. Low-Impact Development Manual. Prince George’s County, MD: Department of Environmental Resources.Google Scholar
- Dreiseitl, H., and Grau, D. (eds.). 2005. New Waterscapes: Planning, Building and Designing with Water. Berlin: Birkhäuser.Google Scholar
- Göransson, C. 1998. “Aesthetic Aspects of Stormwater Management in an Urban Environment.” In Proceedings of Sustaining Urban Water Resources in the 21st Century. Rowney, A. C., Stahre, P., and Roesner, L. A., eds., 406–419. New York: ASCE/Engineering Foundation.Google Scholar
- Hager, M. C. 2001. “Evaluating First Flush.” Stormwater, the Journal for Surface Water Quality Professionals 2(6). http://www.stormh2o.com/SW/Articles/219.aspx.
- McHarg, I. 1969. Design with Nature. New York: Natural History Press.Google Scholar
- National SUDS Working Group. (2003). Framework for Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDS) in England and Wales. London: CIRIA.Google Scholar
- Strom, S., and Nathan, K. 1993. Site Engineering for Landscape Architects. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J. W., and Sorvig, K. (2000). Sustainable Landscape Construction: A Guide to Green Building Outdoors. Washington, DC: Island Press.Google Scholar
- Urbonas, B., Roesner, L., and Sonnen, M. 1989. Design of Urban Runoff Quality Controls. New York: American Society of Civil Engineers.Google Scholar
- Wenk, W. E. 1998. “Stormwater as Civic and Ecological Urban Framework.” In Proceedings of Sustaining Urban Water Resources in the 21st Century. Rowney, A. C., Stahre, P., and Roesner, L. A., eds., 434–453. New York: ASCE/Engineering Foundation.Google Scholar