Since the advent of the microprocessor, affordable storage devices, and networks, more of our daily lives are being recorded in the ones and zeros of the digital world. So it is not surprising that when crimes and torts are committed, there is often evidence of probative value stored or transmitted in digital form. This, in fact, is the definition of digital evidence (DE) according to the Scientific Working Group on Digital Evidence (SWGDE) (1). This DE can be probative in virtually any criminal or civil matter. As a result of this, it appears DE will likely become the predominant form of evidence in the 21st century.
KeywordsAssure Arena Chalk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Scientific Working Group on Digital Evidence. Digital evidence: standards and principles. Forensic Sci Commun 2000;2.Google Scholar
- 2.Moore G. Cramming more components onto integrated circuits. Electronics 1965;38.Google Scholar
- 3.http://sims.berkley.edu/research/projects/how-much-info-2003/. Last accessed on 7/15/2005.Google Scholar
- 4.Electronic Crime Scene Investigation, NIJ Publication, July 2001. http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/nij/187736.pdf
- 5.United States Secret Service. Best Practices for Seizing Electronic Evidence Version 2.0. http://www.secretservice.gov/electronic_evidence.shtml. Last accessed on 7/15/2005.
- 6.http://www.cops.org/html/forensicprocedure.htm. Last accessed on 7/15/2005.
- 7.http://www.guidancesoftware.com. Last accessed on 7/15/2005.
- 8.http://www.ilook-forensics.org. Last accessed on 7/15/2005.
- 9.http://www.accessdata.com. Last accessed on 7/15/2005.
- 10.http://www.ethereal.com. Last accessed on 7/15/2005.
- 11.http://www.wildpackets.com. Last accessed on 7/15/2005.
- 12.http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress00/kerr090600.htm. Last accessed on 7/15/2005.
- 13.http://www.nsrl.nist.gov/. Last accessed on 7/15/2005.
- 14.Chalk R, Frankel MS, Chafer SB. AAAS Professional Ethics Project. American Association for the Advancement of Science Washington, DC 20005. AAAS Publication 80-R-4, 1980.Google Scholar