The Market for Corporate Control
- 276 Downloads
Bidders and targets in cross-border mergers, in both financial and non-financial industries, appear to perform better than purely in domestic takeovers although this may be due to differences in the bidders’ and targets’ corporate governance regimes. Research findings are, as yet, mixed as to whether private equity financed takeovers earn significant returns on exit. The impact of recent reforms to UK legislation concerning competition rules are yet to be fully understood but whilst it appears to have enabled anti-trust actions to be taken more quickly, some consider the reforms intrusive whilst others consider the reforms are insufficient.
KeywordsCorporate Governance Earning Management Private Equity Corporate Control Leverage Buyout
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Botsari, A. 2014. “Stock Prices and Earnings Management Around M&A Transactions.” Available at SSRN 2432091.Google Scholar
- Boubaker, S., and T. Hamza. 2014. “Short- and Long-Term Wealth Gains from UK Takeovers: The Case of the Financial Industry.” Journal of Applied Business Research (JABR) 30(4): 1253–62.Google Scholar
- Daniels, K. 2013. Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013.Google Scholar
- Floris, M., D. Grant and L. Cutcher. 2013. “Mining the Discourse: Strategizing During BHP Billiton’s Attempted Acquisition of Rio Tinto.” Journal of Management Studies 50(7): 1185–215.Google Scholar
- Goergen, M., N. O’Sullivan and G. Wood. 2014. “The Employment Consequences of Private Equity Acquisitions: The Case of Institutional Buy Outs.” European Corporate Governance Institute. Brussells, Belgium: European Corporate Governance Institute.Google Scholar
- Hagendorff, J. and J Nieto, M. 2013. “The Safety and Soundness Effects of Bank M&A in the EU: Does Prudential Regulation Have any Impact?” European Financial Management.Google Scholar
- Hirschman, A. 1970. Exit, Voice, Loyalty: Responses to Decline in Firms, Organisations and States., Harvard, Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Jensen, M.C. 1989. “Eclipse of the Public Corporation.” Harvard Business Review 67(5): 61–74.Google Scholar
- Liu, H. 2011. “The Non-frustration Rule of the UK City Code on Takeover and Mergers and Related Agency Problems: What Are the Implications for the EC Takeover Directive?” Columbia Journal of European Law Online 17: 5–34.Google Scholar
- Thornton, P. 2007. Inside the Dark Box: Shedding Light on Private Equity Work Foundation.Google Scholar
- Weir, C., P. Jones and M. Wright. 2008. “Public to Private Transactions, Private Equity and Performance in the UK: An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Going Private.” SSRN Working Paper.Google Scholar