Looking under the Lamppost? A Research Agenda for Increasing Enterprise Risk Management’s Usefulness to Practitioners
- 301 Downloads
Enterprise risk management (ERM), a process by which organizations assess, manage and monitor risk from all sources for the corporation as a whole, has drawn increasing attention from both researchers and practitioners. We propose, however, that like the drunken person in the above anecdote, much of ERM research looks at issues somewhat distant from the reality experienced by managers. Focusing on ERM for non-financial companies, this paper explores the reasons for this distance, and lays out an agenda for future ERM research.
KeywordsRisk Management Potential Outcome Strategic Management Journal Internal Auditor Risk Management System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowman EH. (1980). A risk/return paradox for strategic management. Sloan Management Review 21(3): 17–31.Google Scholar
- Bromiley P, McShane M, Nair A, Rustambekov E. (2013). Enterprise risk management: Review, critique, and research directions. Long Range Planning forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Bromiley P, Rau D. (2010). Risk taking and strategic decision making, in Nutt P and Wilson D (eds), Handbook of Decision Making. John Wiley & Sons, 307–326.Google Scholar
- Bromiley P, Rau D.(2011). Strategic decision making, in Zedeck S (ed.), APA Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. American Psychological Association, 161–182.Google Scholar
- Bromiley P, Rau D. (2013). Towards a practice-based view of strategy. Strategic Management Journal.Google Scholar
- Bromiley P, Stansifer W. (1994). Loan size limits: A simple model. Journal of Commercial Lending 77(4): 17–28.Google Scholar
- Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) (2003). Overview of enterprise risk management. Retrieved on March 2, 2014 from http://www.casact.org/area/erm/over-view.pdf.
- Cyert RM, March JG. (1963). A Behavioral Theory of the Firm. Prentice-Hall: Englewood Cliffs, NJ.Google Scholar
- Institute of Internal Auditors. (2007). Four Approaches to Enterprise Risk Management. By J Roth and the Institute of Internal Auditors Research Foundation: Altamonte Springs, FL.Google Scholar
- Knapp MC.(2009). New Cent ury Financial Corporation. In Contemporary Auditing (7th ed.), Cengage Learning, 135–151.Google Scholar
- Knight FH. (1921). Risk, Uncertainty, And profit. Houghton Mifflin reprint, Chicago: University of Chicago, 1971.Google Scholar
- LA Times (2009). Countrywide case could be tough for SEC. July 4, 2009: B1 and B5.Google Scholar
- Lee B, Preston F, Green G. (2012). Preparing for High-Impact, Low Probability Events: Lessons from Eyjafjallajokull. A Chatham House Report. London: Chatham House.Google Scholar
- MacCrimmon KR, Wehrung DA. (1986). Taking Risks: The Management of Uncertainty. Free Press: New York.Google Scholar
- Missal MJ. (2008). Final Report of Michael J. Missal Bankruptcy Court Examiner for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware in re: New Century TRS Holdings, Inc.Google Scholar
- The Risk Management Society (RIMS). (2011). FAQ on SRM and ERM. Why strategic management? Retrieved March 3, 2014, from http://www.rims.org/resources/ERM/Documents/FAQ%20on%20SRM%20and%20ERM%20FINAL%20April%2020%202011.pdf.
- Shapira ZB. (1994). Risk Taking: A Managerial Perspective. Russell Sage: New York.Google Scholar
- Yates JF. (ed.) (1992). Risk-Taking Behavior. John Wiley & Sons: Chichester, England.Google Scholar