Overcoming the Innovation Challenge: Examining the Determinants of New Product Innovation in Chinese SMEs
- 156 Downloads
Since China began its opening-up and reform process over three decades ago the economic policies introduced by the government have led to a huge growth in the number of private small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) (Chen, Sun, Newman, & Xu, 2012). The SME sector has been a major driving force in the rapid development of the Chinese economy through contributions to innovation and productivity improvements (Newman, Gunessee, & Hilton, 2012). Presently, SMEs account for a significant proportion of economic activity and innovation output (Anderson, Li, Harrison, & Robson, 2003; Chen, 2006).
KeywordsOrdinary Little Square Product Innovation Bank Loan Innovation Output Tobit Regression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- An, T., Zhou, S., & Pi, J. 2009. The stimulating effects of R&D subsidies on independent innovation of Chinese enterprises’ (in Chinese). Economic Research Journal, 10: 87–98.Google Scholar
- Anderson, A., Li, J., Harrison, R., & Robson, P. 2003. The increasing role of small business in the Chinese economy. Journal of Small Business Management, (41): 310–316.Google Scholar
- Davila, A., Foster, G., & Gupta, M. 2003. Venture capital financing and the growth of startup firms. Journal of Business Venturing, (18): 689–708.Google Scholar
- Du, J., Guariglia, A., & Newman, A. 2013. Do social capital building strategies influence the financing behavior of Chinese private small and medium-sized enterprises? Entrepreneurship, Theory & Practice, DOI: 10.1111/etap.l2051.Google Scholar
- Yu, M., Hui, Y., & Pan, H. 2010. Political connections, rent seeking, and the fiscal subsidy efficiency of local governments (in Chinese). Economic Research Journal, 3: 65–77.Google Scholar
- Zhang, C, Zeng, D. Z., Mako, W. P., & Seward, J. 2009. Promoting enterprise-led innovation in China. Hemdon: World Bank.Google Scholar
- Zhang, J., Zhou, X., & Li, Y. 2011. Does factor market distortion barrage Chinese firms’ R&D? (in Chinese). Economic Research Journal, 8: 78–91.Google Scholar
- Zhu, Y. M., & Sanderson, J. W. 2009. The key obstacles and counter-measure against development of innovative SMEs in China. China Soft Science, 9: 23–31.Google Scholar