The Third World’s Debt Problem
John Kenneth Galbraith discussed the Third World’s debt problem well before the ‘official start’ of the sovereign debt crisis in 1982. In a paper published by the German Federal Ministry of Cooperation in 1979 and reprinted in the annex of the German edition of his book The Nature of Mass Poverty (Galbraith, 1980, pp. 140ff.) he described Third World demands for debt relief and for a new framework to resolve debt issues with a great deal of sympathy. He emphasized in particular the strong Third World focus on reforms of debtor-creditor relations, such as an appropriate role in debt rescheduling or an international commission on debts.
KeywordsIncome Assure Expense Nism Argentina
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Caufield, Masters of Illusion: the World Bank and the Poverty of Nations (London: Pan, 1998).Google Scholar
- J.K. Galbraith, American Capitalism. The Concept of Countervailing Power (London: Hamish Hamilton, 1952).Google Scholar
- J.K. Galbraith, Die Arroganz der Satten (Bern & München: Scherz, 1980).Google Scholar
- J.K. Galbraith, ‘Interview by John Newark’, Aurora, http://aurora.icaap.org/talks/galbraith.htm (1990).
- IBRD, World Debt Tables 1992–93, vol. 1 (Washington DC: IBRD, 1992).Google Scholar
- IBRD, Global Development Finance 2000, vol. 1 (Washington DC: IBRD, 2000).Google Scholar
- IMF, ‘The Design of the Sovereign Debt Restructuring Mechanism — Further Considerations’, 27 November 2002.Google Scholar
- A. Krueger, ‘The Political Economy of the Rent-seeking Society’, American Economic Review, 64(3) (1974), 291–303.Google Scholar
- L.B. Pearson et al., Partners in Development: Report of the Commission on International Development (New York: Praeger, 1969).Google Scholar
- Raúl Prebisch, ‘El desarrollo económico de la América latina y algunos de sus principales problemas’, El Trimestre Económico, XVI(3) (1949), 447ff. (Engl. version published by UN-ECLA in 1950.)Google Scholar
- K. Raffer, ‘International Debts: a Crisis for Whom?’, in H.W. Singer and S. Sharma (eds), Economic Development and World Debt (Selected papers of a Conference at Zagreb University in 1987) (Basingstoke and London: Macmillan, 1989).Google Scholar
- K. Raffer, ‘International Financial Institutions and Accountability: the Need for Drastic Change’, in S. M. Murshed and Kunibert Raffer (eds), Trade, Transfers and Development, Problems and Prospects for the Twenty-First Century (Aldershot, UK and Brookfield, VT: Edward Elgar, 1993), http://homepage.univie.ac.at/Kunibert.Raffer.Google Scholar
- K. Raffer, ‘The Final Demise of Unfair Debtor Discrimination? Comments on Ms Krueger’s Speeches’, paper prepared for the G-24 Liaison Office to be distributed to the IMF’s Executive Directors representing Developing Countries, 31 January 2002, http://homepage.univie.ac.at/Kunibert.Raffer.Google Scholar
- K. Raffer, ‘The Present State of the Discussion on Restructuring Sovereign Debts: Which Specific Sovereign Insolvency Procedure?’, paper presented at the Fourth Interregional Debt Management Conference, DMFAS, UNCTAD, Geneva, 11 November 2003, http://r0.unctad.org/dmfas/pdfs/raffer.pdf.Google Scholar
- K. Raffer, ‘The Debt Crisis and the South in an Era of Globalisation’, in Max Spoor (ed.), Globalisation, Poverty and Conflict, a Critical ‘Development’ Reader (Conference proceedings, 50 Years Institute of Social Studies, October 2002, The Hague) (Dordrecht, Boston and London: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004a), pp. 97–115.Google Scholar
- K. Raffer, ‘The IMF’s SDRM. Another Form of Simply Disastrous Rescheduling Management?’, in Ch. Jochnick and F. Preston (eds), Sovereign Debt at the Crossroads (Oxford: Oxford University Press, forthcoming).Google Scholar
- D. Rodrik, ‘Understanding Policy Reform’, Journal of Economic Literature, XXXIV(1) (1996), 9–42.Google Scholar
- Hans W. Singer, ‘The Distribution of Gains between Investing and Borrowing Countries’, American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings, 40 (1950), 478ff.Google Scholar
- Zedillo, Ernesto et al., ‘Recommendations of the High-level Panel on Financing for Development’, UN, General Assembly, 26 June 2001 (A/55/1000).Google Scholar