The Leadership Dimension: Developing Human Capital in Asia
A new breed of local competitors emerges, mainly from Asia, and soon from Russia and Central Europe. They don’t only provide manufacturing or services to western companies; they compete in their own right with their own brands. They will assail western markets, just as Japan before, but on a much wider scale. Such nations are quickly absorbing world standards in management and technology, which are spread by offshoring activities.
(World Competitiveness Yearbook, 2004)
KeywordsEurope Malaysia Indonesia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fu, P. P., Wu, R., Yang, Y. and Ye, J. (2000) Chinese Culture and Leadership in China: Project GLOBE Monograph, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Li, J., Ngin, P. M. and Teo, A. C. (forthcoming) ‘National and Organizational Cultures in Singapore and their Effects on Leadership Behaviour in Local Firms’, in R. House (ed.), Global Studies of Managerial Cultures of the World, London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Lucenti, D. (2003) ‘A Global Exchange’, On Center, Fall Issue, 7–9.Google Scholar
- Maira, A. (2002) Shaping the Future: Aspirational Leadership in India and Beyond, Singapore, Wiley.Google Scholar
- McCauley, C. D. and Van Velsor, E. (eds) (2004) The Center for Creative Leadership Handbook of Leadership Development, New Jersey: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Pascale, R. (1990) Managing on the Edge: How Successful Companies Use Conflict to Stay Ahead, London, Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Plessier, F. (2004) Appraisal Systems to Measure Develop and Motivate Talent, presentation to the Successful Retention and Recruitment Strategies conference, Sheraton Hotel, Singapore, 19–20 July.Google Scholar
- Prahalad, C. K. and Lieberthal, K. (2003) ‘The End of Corporate Imperialism’, Harvard Business Review, 81(8), B, 117–27.Google Scholar
- Sharma, A. K. and Talwar, B. (2004) ‘Business Excellence Enshrined in Vedic (Hindu) Philosophy’, Singapore Management Review, 26(1): 1–14.Google Scholar
- World Competitiveness Yearbook (2004) online at http://imd.ch/wcy.