Re-opening Research: New Amateurs or New Professionals?
In this book, we have seen many examples — both historical and contemporary — of ways in which systematic inquiry has been conducted outside the walls of the university. Sometimes, those inquiries have been those of lone ‘amateurs’, sometimes they have been undertaken within groups or as a form of collective life in particular geographical regions and sometimes, too, they have been organised even on a national basis. So, the extent or the level of such nonacademic inquiry is not at issue. What have been at issue, I think, have been other matters.
KeywordsManifold Amid Sine Dock
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barnett, R. (2000) Realizing the University in an Age of Supercomplexity, Buckingham: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Bauman, Z. (2000) Liquid Modernity, Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- Derrida, J. (2001) ‘Hospitality, perfectibility, responsibility’, in Patton, P. and Smith, T. (eds), Jacques Derrida: Deconstruction Engaged – The Sydney Seminars, Sydney: Power Publications.Google Scholar
- Eraut, M. (1994) Developing Professional Knowledge and Competence, London: Falmer.Google Scholar
- Gellner, E. (1969) Thought and Change, London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson.Google Scholar
- Gibbons, M., Limoges, C., Nowotny, H., Schwartzman, S., Scott, P. and Trow, M. (1994) The New Production of Knowledge: The Dynamics of Science and Research in Contemporary Societies, London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Ichigo, K., von Krogh, G. and Nonaka, I. (1998) ‘Knowledge enablers’, in von Krogh, G., Roos, J. and Kleine, D. (eds), Knowing in Firms: Understanding, Managing and Measuring Knowledge, London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Lyotard, J.-F. (1984) The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, Manchester: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Nowotny, H., Scott, P. and Gibbons, M. (2001) Rethinking Science: Knowledge and the Public in an Age of Uncertainty, Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Peters, M. (ed.) (1999) After the Disciplines: Disciplinarity, Culture and the Emerging Economy of Studies, Westport, CT: Begin and Garvey.Google Scholar
- Popper, Sir K. (1975) Objective Knowledge, London: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar