The Effect of Exchange-rate Uncertainty on Foreign Direct Investment in the United Kingdom
According to the theory of purchasing power parity (PPP), exchange-rate movements offset the effect of relative price changes on the terms of trade, thus serving as a stabilizing influence on an economy’s external position, protecting real variables from local shocks. In practice, however, exchange rates have deviated substantially and for lengthy periods from the rates implied by PPP, and in this case, exchange-rate movements, rather than serving to absorb real shocks (as in PPP), are a potential cause of shocks.1,2 An additional but separate issue of concern relates to the volatility of nominal and real exchange rates, a marked feature of recent experience of flexible exchange-rate regimes. Various studies have emerged exploring the impact of exchange-rate volatility (and associated uncertainty) on investment and growth (discussed further below). In this chapter we extend the literature, using an original database to explore the relationship between foreign direct investment and exchange-rate variability, with respect to both the level and volatility of exchange rates, for the case of the United Kingdom between 1997 and 2001.
KeywordsEurope Arena Volatility OECD
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abel, A. (1983) ‘Optimal Investment under Uncertainty’, American Economic Review, vol. 73, pp. 228–33.Google Scholar
- Cushman, D. (1985) ‘Real Exchange-Rate Risk, Expectations and the Level of Direct Investment’, Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 67, pp. 302–7.Google Scholar
- Dell’Ariccia, G. (1999) ‘Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Trade Flows: Evidence from the European Union’, IMF Staff Papers, vol. 46(3), pp. 315–34.Google Scholar
- Dixit, A. and R. Pindyck (1994) Investment under Uncertainty (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press).Google Scholar
- European Investment Monitor (London: Ernst & Young).Google Scholar
- Greene, W. (2000) Econometric Analysis (Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall).Google Scholar
- Kohlhagen, S. (1977) ‘The Effects of Exchange-Rate Adjustment on International Investment’, in P. Clark, D. Logue and R.J. Sweeney (eds), The Effects of Exchange-Rate Adjustments (Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office), pp. 194–7.Google Scholar