Strategic Offshoring: Decision Analysis, Best Practices, and Emerging Trends
Any decision related to ‘optimal sourcing’ of business processes or IT functions is complex enough to arrive at and more so to implement successfully. This is because of the sheer multitude of options available — from in-sourcing to co-sourcing to outsourcing — and equally wide ranging objective and subjective factors that go into decision making and successful implementation of a sourcing decision — from strategic, tactical and operational to economic, political and competitive factors. Offshore sourcing (‘offshoring’) of business processes and IT functions adds several more layers of complexity and hence risks to the sourcing lifecycle (Figure 2.1), while, as one would expect, also offering significant potential competitive advantages if implemented correctly.
KeywordsService Provider Business Process Capability Maturity Model Offshore Outsource Customer Contact Centre
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.F. Greaver, II, Strategic Outsourcing: A Structure Approach to Outsourcing Decisions and Initiatives (New York: American Management Association, 1999).Google Scholar
- 2.Rob Aalders, The IT Outsourcing Guide (Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons, 2001).Google Scholar
- 3.Daniel Minoli (1995) Analyzing Outsourcing — Reengineering Information and Communication Systems (New York: McGraw Hill Inc., 1995).Google Scholar
- 4.S. Elliott, (ed.), Outsourcing: A Strategic Framework (A Productivity Quality Center — APQC — Publication, 1997).Google Scholar
- 10.C.K. Prahlad and G. Hamel (1990) ‘The Core Competence of the Corporation’, Harvard Business Review, 68 (3) (1990) 79–91.Google Scholar
- 17.T.L. Saaty, ‘Multicriteria Decision Making — The Analytic Hierarchy Process’ (Pittsburgh: RWS Publications, 1992).Google Scholar
- 18.T.L. Saaty, ‘Decision Making for Leaders’ (Pittsburgh: RWS Publications, 1992).Google Scholar
- 21.D. von Winterfeldt and W. Edwards, ‘Decision Analysis and Behavioral Research’ (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1986).Google Scholar