The directors of Cisco Systems were assembled in the boardroom waiting for their new CEO, John Chambers. They knew the boss was in the building, because he had been spotted. Had he forgotten? Didn’t he realize the importance of his inaugural board meeting? Chambers turned up half an hour late. He said he was sorry, but he’d been busy sorting out a customer’s problem.
KeywordsEurope Income Marketing Straw Carol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Market Driven Organization, George S. Day, The Free Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- 2.Cisco Systems’ website; http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/tln/exec_team/bios.html.
- 3.Re-imagine! Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age, Tom Peters, Dorling Kindersley, 2003.Google Scholar
- 4.Think tank: marketing to women — the gender factor, Peter Crush, Marketing Direct, December 31, 2004.Google Scholar
- 5.More than just a pretty face, Guardian, September 6, 2004.Google Scholar
- 6.Liverpool Victoria press release, April 22, 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.The Female FTSE Report 2004, Cranfield University School of Management, 2004.Google Scholar
- 8.Corporate Governance, Board Diversity and Firm Value, D. A. Carter, B. J. Simkins and V. G. Simpson, Financial Review, 38, 2003.Google Scholar
- 9.Women in management and firm value: An exploratory study, C. B. Shrader, V. B. Blackburn and P. Iles, Journal of Managerial Issues, 9, 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.Spencer Stuart Board Index, 2004, S&P 500 data as of June 30, 2004, obtained from proxies released on or before July 15, 2004.Google Scholar
- 11.The bottom line: connecting corporate performance and gender diversity, Catalyst, sponsored by BMO Financial Group, 2004.Google Scholar
- 12.Women and Minorities on Fortune 100 Boards, The Alliance for Board Diversity, May 17, 2005.Google Scholar
- 13.Digest of Education Statistics, National Center for Education Statistics, 2002.Google Scholar
- 14.Current Population Survey, Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2003.Google Scholar
- 15.Higher Education Statistics Agency.Google Scholar
- 17.Women directors, Jeremy Warner, The Independent, 8.12.04.Google Scholar