Charter and Structure of the United Nations
The structure and some of the most important procedures of the United Nations are set forth in its Charter (For full text, see Appendix, p. 159). This constitutional document, approved by the San Francisco Conference, has remained formally unchanged, except for the enlargement of the Security Council and the Economic and Social Council. It provides the legal, institutional framework for the organization. Examining its main features helps in estimating the UN’s success in reaching its main goal: the maintenance of international peace and security. Moreover, knowledge of the constitutional structure is essential for useful discussion of possible reforms.
KeywordsInternational Atomic Energy Agency International Monetary Fund World Trade Organization Security Council International Labor Organization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bloed, A. and van Dijk, P. Forty Years International Court of Justice: Jurisdiction, Equity and Equality. Utrecht: Europa Instituut, 1988.Google Scholar
- Boutros-Ghali, Boutros. The Unvanquished: a U.S.-U.N. Saga. New York: Random House, 1999.Google Scholar
- Bowett, D.W. et al. The International Court of Justice: Practice and Procedure. London: B.I.I.C.L., 1997.Google Scholar
- Eyffinger, A. The International Court of Justice, 1946–1996. The Hague: Kluwer Law International, 1996.Google Scholar
- Finkelstein, Lawrence S. (ed.). Politics in the United Nations System. Durham and London: Duke University Press, 1988.Google Scholar
- Gordenker, Leon. The UN Secretary-General and Secretariat. London: Routledge, 2005.Google Scholar
- Matanle, Emma. The UN Security Council: Prospects for Reform. London: Royal Institute of International Affairs, 1995.Google Scholar
- Meron, Theodor. The United Nations Secretariat. Lexington, MA: D.C. Heath, 1977.Google Scholar
- Peterson, M.J. The General Assembly in World Politics. Boston: Allen & Unwin, 1986.Google Scholar
- Rivlin, Benjamin and Gordenker, Leon. (eds). The Challenging Role of the Secretary-General. Westport, CT: Praeger, 1993.Google Scholar
- Urquhart, Brian. Hammarskjöld. New York: Knopf, 1972.Google Scholar