The Regulatory Framework
The aim of this chapter is to analyze the regulatory framework for diversified financial institutions, considering its main evolution overtime and the drivers of future change. The opportunity to develop the bancassurance model was offered by the Second Banking Directive (89/646/EEC) which removed the existing barriers between different sectors of the financial services industry, so that a credit institution can become a distribution channel of financial and insurance services, if this complies with its strategy.
KeywordsCapital Requirement Competent Authority Capital Adequacy European Banking Authority Universal Bank
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allianz Group (2010) Annual Report. http://www.allianz.com.
- Banca d’Italia, BaFin (1993) Memorandum of understanding of 16 August 1993. http://www.bancaditalia.it.
- Banca d’Italia, Consob, Isvap (2006) Accordo di Coordinamento in materia di Identificazione e Adeguatezza Patrimoniale dei Conglomerati Finanziari. http://www. bancaditalia.it.
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (2001) Compendium of Documents produced by the Joint Forum. http://www. www.bis.org.
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (2006) International Convergence of Capital Measurement and Capital Standard. http://www.bis.org.
- CEIOPS (2009a) CEIOPS’s Advice for Level 2 Implementing Measures on Solvency II: Standard Formula SCR—Loss- Absorbing Capacity of Technical Provisions and Deferred Taxes. eiopa.europa.eu.Google Scholar
- CEIOPS (2009b) CEIOPS’s Advice for Level 2 Implementing Measures on Solvency II: Standard Formula SCR—Art 111 (f)—Operational Risk. eiopa.europa.eu.Google Scholar
- CEIOPS (2010) CEIOPS’s Advice for Level 2 Implementing Measures on Solvency II: Standard Formula SCR — Calibration of Health Underwriting Risk. eiopa. europa.eu.Google Scholar
- ECB (2010) Annual Report. http://www.ecb.int.
- European Commission (2008) Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation between the Financial Supervisory Authorities, Central Banks and Finance Ministries of the European Union on Cross- border Financial Stability. ASvailable online at ec.europa.eu.Google Scholar
- Freixas, X., G. Loranth and A. D. Morrisona (2005) ‘Regulating Financial Conglomerates’, Cambridge Endowment for Research in Finance, Working Paper no. 19. Available online at www-cfap.jbs.cam.ac.uk.Google Scholar
- Gruson, M. (2004) Supervision on Financial Conglomerates in the European Union, unpublished paper available at http://imf.org/external/np/leg/ sem/2004/cdmfl/eng/gruson.pdf.Google Scholar
- Joint Forum on Financial Conglomerates (1999) Supervision of Financial Conglomerate. http://www.bis.org.
- KPMG (2002) Study into the methodologies to assess the overall financial position of an insurance undertaking from the perspective of prudential supervision–Study commissioned by Internal Market Directorate General of the European Commission. ec.europa.eu.Google Scholar
- Lelyveld, I. and A. Schilder (2002) ‘Risk in Financial Conglomerates’, Brookings-Wharton Papers on Financial Services.ideas.repec.org.Google Scholar
- National Bank of Belgium (2002) ‘Financial Conglomerates’, Financial Stability Review, 1, 61–80.Google Scholar
- Tripartite Group (1995) The Supervision of Financial Conglomerates. http://www.bis.org.