Food Security and South-South Cooperation
- 179 Downloads
Food security, a situation in which all people at all times have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food to meet their basic dietary needs and food preferences for an active healthy life, in the twenty-first century, remains a global challenge (Pinstrup-Andersen et al., 2002, p. 11). However, the widening levels of inequality and poverty globally, coupled with sharp increases in the prices of nearly every agricultural commodity in the past two years, have further aggravated the seemingly perennial challenge of global food insecurity. Available data, from the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) in 2008 indicate that world prices of wheat and maize were three times higher than at the beginning of 2003 and the price of rice was five times higher. Other sharp hikes include prices of dairy products, meat, palm oil and cassava (von Braun, 2008, p. 11).
KeywordsFood Security Food Price Land Tenure Land Reform World Bank
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adlakha, Arjun (1997) ‘Population Indicators for India: 1990 to 2020’ http://census.gov/ipc/prod/ib-9701.pdf (accessed 25 June 2010).
- Africa Focus Bulletin (2009) ‘Africa: Subsidies that Work,’ 22 January http://africafocus.org/docs09/sub0901.php (accessed 10 July 2010).
- Africa Good News (2010) ‘Africa-India to Boost Agricultural Technology Cooperation’ http://www.africagoodnews.com/innovation/africa-india-to-boost-agricultural-technology-cooperation.html (accessed 20 March 2010).
- All Africa (2010a) ‘Nigeria: Amending the Land Use Act’ http://allafrica.com/stories/200903170206.html (accessed 25June 2010).
- All Africa (2010b) ‘Land Grabs — Another Scramble for Africa’ http://allafrica.com/stories/200909180570.html (accessed 25 June 2010).
- Badiane, Ousmane (2008) ‘Sustaining and Accelerating Africa’s Agricultural Growth Recovery in the Context of Changing Global Food Price,’ IFPRI Policy Brief, 9, 1–4.Google Scholar
- von Braun, Joachim (2008) ‘Food and Financial Crises: Implications for Agriculture and the Poor,’ IFPRI Policy Brief, 20, 1–27.Google Scholar
- CAADP (2009) ‘Making Agriculture a Priority and Achieving CAADP Targets’ http://nepad-caadp.net/pdf/CAADP_AR2010_WEB.pdf (accessed 20 August 2010).
- CAADP News (2010) ‘Africa needs Speedy and Effective Measures to Eradicate Poverty and Hunger’ http://www.caadp.net/news/?p=692 (accessed 26 June 2010).
- China.org.cn (2009) ‘The Household Responsibility System’ http://www.china.org.cn/features/60years/2009-09/16/content_18534697.htm (accessed 5 July 2010).
- Daily Ethiopia (2009) ‘Saudi Firms in [US] $40 million Farm Investments in Africa,’ 2 April http://www.dailyethiopia.com/index.php?aid=114 (accessed 10 July 2010).
- Dixit, Ashok (2010) ‘India, Malawi Strengthen Bilateral Cooperation through Three New Pacts,’ 9 January http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world-news/india-malawi-strengthen-bilateral-cooperation-through-three-new-pacts_100301089.html (accessed 10 July 2010).
- FAO (2008) ‘Committee on World Food Security,’ ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/meeting/014/k3175e.pdf (accessed 3 January 2009).Google Scholar
- FAO (2009) http://www.fao.org, home page (accessed 26 June 2010).
- FAO (2010a) ‘Food and Agricultural Commodities Production’ http://faostat.fao.org/site/desktopdefault.aspx?pageid=339&lang=en&country=159 (accessed 20 March 2010).
- FAO (2010b) ‘Crop Prospects and Food Situation’ http://www.fao.org/docrep/011/ai481e/ai481e01.htm (accessed 25 June 2010).
- FAO (2010c) ‘Rapid Assessment of Aid Flows for Agricultural Development in Sub-Saharan Africa,’ Investment Centre Division Discussion Paper, September 2009, http://www.fao.org/docrep/012/al144e/al144e.pdf, date accessed 25 June 2010.
- Fan, Shenggen; Ashok Gulati and Sara Dalafi (2008) The Dragon and The Elephant-Agricultural and Rural Reforms in China and India, New Delhi: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Farm Africa (2009) http://www.farmafrica.org.uk (accessed 7 January 2009).
- Fleshman, Michael (2008) ‘A Harvest of Hope for African Farmers,’ Africa Renewal, 22(3), 18–22.Google Scholar
- Friends of Ethiopia (2010) ‘Karuturi Global Ltd. (KGL) to invest $ 100-mn in Cane Crushing Plant in Ethiopia’ http://friendsofethiopia.blogspot.com/2010/07/karu-turi-global-ltd-kgl-to-invest-100.html (accessed 10 July 2010).
- Gulati, Ashok, Shenggen Fan and Sara Dalafi (2005) ‘The Dragon and The Elephant: Agricultural Reforms in China and India’ http://www.adb.org/Documents/events/2005/atd/paper2-fan.pdf (accessed 9 July 2010).
- ICARRD (2006) ‘A Vision for the Future’ http://www.icarrd.org/en/icarrd_docs_nat.html (accessed 15 December 2008).
- IFPRI (2008) ‘Rising Food Prices: What should be Done?’ http://www.ifpri.org/blog/rising-food-prices-what-should-be-done (accessed 1 November 2009).
- The Independent (2008) ‘China’s New Export: Farmers’ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/chinas-new-export-farmers-1215001.html (accessed 29 December 2009).
- India Online Pages (2010) ‘India’s Population 2010’ http://www.indiaonlinepages.com/population/india-population.html (accessed 10 July 2010).
- Jha, Dayanatha and Suresh Pal (2008) ‘Agricultural Research and Technology in India: Status, Impact and Contemporary Issues,’ in Shenggen, Fan; Ashok Gulati and Sara Dalafi (eds) The Dragon and The Elephant — Agricultural and Rural Reforms in China and India, New Delhi: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Matali, Bula (2010) ‘Landless Chinese Farmers Migrate to Africa in Search of Agricultural Opportunities’ http://www.asiafines.hp/t149846.html (accessed 10 July 2010).
- Mwaniki, Angela (2006) ‘Achieving Food Security in Africa: Challenges and Issues’ http://www.un.org/africa/osaa/reports/Achieving%20Food%20Security%20in%20Africa-Challenges%20and%20Issues.pdf (accessed 7 December 2008).
- News Views (2010) ‘India, Africa Unveil Action Plan to Boost Ties News Views’ http://news-views.in/india-africa-unveil-action-plan-to-boost-ties/ (accessed 10 July 2010).Google Scholar
- The Nigerian Economic Summit Group (2003) ‘Review of Agricultural Research Recommendations and their Policy Implications in Nigeria (1993–2003)’ www.pak-nigeria.org/pdfs/10_Ag_Research_Policy_Implications.pdf (accessed 26 June 2010).
- Pinstrup-Andersen, Per, Rajul Pandya-Lorch and J. Marc (2002) ‘Reaching Sustainable Food Security for All by 2020. Getting the Priorities and Responsibilities Right,’ International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) Policy Brief, 16, 1–20.Google Scholar
- Satellite Executive Briefing (2010) ‘Opportunities and Challenges in the Asia-Pacific Satellite Market’ http://www.satellitemarkets.com/pdf/jun15-10.pdf. 3(10), 1–15 June 2010.
- Shimada, Shuhei (1999) ‘A Study of Increased Food Production in Nigeria: The Effect of the Structural Adjustment Program on the Local Level,’ African Study Monograph, 20(4), 175–227.Google Scholar
- Srivastava, Ravi; N. C. Saxena and Sukhadeo K. Throat (2008) ‘Land Institutions, Policy, and Reforms in India,’ in Shenggen, Fan, Ashok Gulati and Sara Dalafi (eds) The Dragon and The Elephant — Agricultural and Rural Reforms in China and India, New Delhi: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Trends Updates (2009) ‘The Hoarding of African Lands: Agricultural Investment and International Land Deals in Africa,’ 31 May http://trendsupdates.com/the-hoarding-of-african-lands-agricultural-investment-and-international-land-deals-in-africa/ (accessed 10 July 2010).
- UN National Statistics (2009) unstats.un.org, home page (accessed 30 June 2010).
- Voice of America News (2010) ‘Global Agricultural Conference Hears Calls for Greater Research and Investment’ http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/science-technology/decapuqa-gcard-ifad-29mar10-89399497.html (accessed 10 July 2010).
- WDI (2009) data.worldbank.org/indicator http://data.worldbank.org/indicator, home page (accessed 10 July 2010).
- World Bank (WB) (2010a) ‘Lending to Agriculture from Bilateral and Multilateral Donors’ http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTOED/EXTASSAGRISUBSAHAFR/0,contentMDK:22117754~menuPK:6249617~pagePK:64829573~piPK:64829550~theSitePK:4422577,00.html (accessed 25 June 2010).
- World Bank (WB) (2010b) ‘Rural Population (% of Total Population)’ http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.RUR.TOTL.ZS (accessed 16 July 2010).