India, Africa and the IOR-ARC: Potential for Collaboration
- 175 Downloads
With the end of Cold War, the erstwhile bipolar bloc rivalry came to a close and gave rise to the prospects of a multipolar world order in which diverse and multiple arrangements in the management of regional and international affairs came to the centre stage. The Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation (IOR-ARC) was the product of a mixture of events including a growing trend towards regionalism, the emergence of a liberal international trading environment with the conclusions of the Uruguay Round (UR) of the GATT, in mid 1990s and the establishment of the WTO, the emergence of non-traditional security concerns as well as the end of apartheid and consequent end of SA’s international isolation (Mills and Voges, 2004, p. 20).
KeywordsIndian Ocean Bilateral Trade Maritime Security External Affair Inaugural Address
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CII (2007) ‘Tanzania and Uganda are the Safer Haven for Business in Africa/Asian companies should invest more in Africa: CII-AAITPC,’ News Update, 17 July http://www.cii.in/PressreleasesDetail.aspx?enc=R8hCnkr1U7MB+wTO1nvZp2PjTjIgwYzKsOAdcL01U62dA6hNleSGbRnEOLuyGuPR (accessed 17 March 2010).
- CII (2008) ‘Mauritius is not a Competitor but a Partner to India,’ News Update, 15 October http://www.cii.in/PressreleasesDetail.aspx?enc=G+T24eBGuD7Ht852f0g0UMvBfErX+zsNDlQhpo6jA0swHfXxG0FwJdHqnYV29OyT (accessed 17 March 2010).
- CII-Exim Bank (2010) ‘Background Note, Conclave on India Africa Project Partnership,’ 14–16 March, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- First Ministerial Meeting, Mauritius (1997) ‘The Resolution on the Adoption of the Charter of the Indian Ocean Rim-Association for Regional Cooperation, 5–7 March 1997,’ World Affairs: The Journal of International Issues, 1(2) pp. 161–6.Google Scholar
- Groume, Abate (2009) ‘Southern and Eastern Africa gets Hooked to India,’ 26 July http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/sci-tech/southern-and-eastern-africa-gets-hooked-to-india_100223141.html (accessed 18 August 2009).
- Gujral, Inder Kumar (1997) ‘Statement Re-launching of the IO Rim Association for Regional Cooperation,’ 11 March http://parliamentofindia.nic.in/lsdeb/ls11/ses4/03110397.htm (accessed 20 August 2009).
- The Hindu (2009) ‘India-Tanzania Trade Volume Now at [US] $750 million,’ 12 February.Google Scholar
- ICC Commercial Crime Services (2010) ‘2009 Worldwide Piracy Figures Surpass 400,’ 14 January http://www.icc-ccs.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=385:2009-worldwide-piracy-figures-surpass-400&catid=60:news&Itemid=51 (accessed 16 March 201.
- Inaugural Address by External Affairs Minister S. M. Krishna at the 6th CII-EXIM Bank Conclave on India Africa Project Partnership 2010 Developing Synergies: Creating a Vision (2010) New Delhi, 15 March http://meaindia.nic.in// (accessed 17 March 2010).
- Indian Express (2007) ‘India Activates First Listening Post on Foreign Soil: Radars in Madagascar,’ 17 July.Google Scholar
- Kelegama, Saman (2002) ‘IO Regionalism: Is There a Future?,’ Economic and Political Weekly, 37(25), June 22–28, 2422–2425.Google Scholar
- Mahapatra, Debidatta Aurobinda (2008) ‘Interlinking Drug Trafficking, Afghanistan and Terrorism,’ Strategic Culture Foundation, Online Magazine, 24 December http://en.fondsk.ru/article.php?id=1825 (accessed 12 January 2010).
- Mahapatra, Debidatta Aurobinda (2009) ‘The Pearls and String of the Theory,’ Strategic Culture Foundation, Online Magazine, 5 June, http://en.fondsk.ru/article.php?id=2203 (accessed 10 December 2009).
- Mills, Greg and Carin Voges (2004) ‘Region-Building and the IO Rim: A South African Perspective,’ in Sheth, V. S. (ed.) Indian Ocean Region: Conflict and Cooperation, Mumbai: Allied Publishers Private Limited.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Defence, GoI (2004) Annual Report 2003–2004, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Defence, GoI (2005) Annual Report 2004–2005, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- MEA, GoI (2009a) ‘India-Kenya Bilateral Relations,’ November http://meaindia.nic.in// (accessed 17 March 2010).
- MEA, GoI (2009b) ‘India-Mauritius Relations’ http://meaindia.nic.in// (accessed 17 March 2010).
- MEA, GOI (2010a) ‘Country Brief — Republic of Madagascar,’ January http://meaindia.nic.in// (accessed 18 March 2010).
- MEA, GOI (2010b) ‘Country Note on Mozambique,’ March http://meaindia.nic.in// (accessed 17 March 2010)
- MEA, GOI (2010c) ‘India-Kenya Bilateral Relations,’ November http://meaindia.nic.in// (accessed 3 April 2010).
- MEA, GOI (2010d) ‘India-Mauritius Relations,’ March http://meaindia.nic.in// (accessed 3 April 2010).
- Modi, Renu (2009) ‘Pan Africa E-Network: A Model for SSC,’ Africa Quarterly, 49(1), February–April, pp. 56–9.Google Scholar
- Murthi, G. (1996) ‘The IO Rim Initiative,’ Journal of Indian Ocean Studies, 3(2), 156–157.Google Scholar
- NewsoneIndia (2008) ‘India seeks Structural Changes in IOR-ARC’ http://news.oneindia.in/2008/05/04/india-seeks-structural-changes-in-ior-arc-1209915220.html (accessed 9 December 2009).
- Prakash, Arun (2010) ‘From Sea to Shining Sea,’ Indian Express, 18 May, p. 10.Google Scholar
- Press Information Bureau (2008) ‘Kamal Nath Stresses for Deeper and Closer Engagement with Africa’ Press Release, 19 March, http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=36759 date accessed 9 August 2010.
- Rao, P. V. (2003) ‘India and Regional Cooperation: Multiple Strategies in an Elusive Region,’ in Rao, P. V. (ed.) India and Indian Ocean: In the Twilight of the Millennium, New Delhi: South Asian Publishers Pvt. Ltd.Google Scholar
- Reuters (2010) ‘Navies to Guard Undersea Cable from Somali Pirates,’ 16 April http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLG73912 (accessed 20 April 2010).
- Shekhawat, Seema (2008) ‘India and China in the African Trade Matrix,’ India Quarterly, LXIV(4), October–December, 102–123.Google Scholar
- Singh, K. R. (2009) ‘Maritime Cooperation: India and Francophone Territories of the Indian Ocean,’ in Dubey, Ajay (ed.) India and Francophone Africa under Globalisation, Delhi: Kalinga Publications.Google Scholar
- Statement by Deputy Minister Aziz Pahad at the General Debate during the 7th Meeting of the Council of Ministers of the IOR-ARC (2007) Tehran, 7 March http://www.info.gov.za/speeches/2007/07031511451003.htm (accessed 10 December 2009).
- Statement by former Minister of State Shashi Tharoor at the Plenary Meeting of the Ninth Council of Ministers of the IOR-ARC (2009) Yemen, 25 June http://tharoor.in/speeches/statement-by-mos-dr-shashi-tharoor-at-the-plenary-meeting-of-the-ninth-council-of-ministers-of-the-indian-ocean-rim-association-for-regional-coop-eration-ior-arc/ (accessed 11 January 2010).Google Scholar