Criteria for a Regulatory Framework of Human Enhancement
Given all the potential dangers and opportunities related to human enhancement technologies, the issue of regulating these technologies is one that we must address urgently as an international community. As is the case with most transnational issues, the best way to comprehensively address and regulate human enhancement technologies will be through an international forum. However, with human enhancement technologies, the preference for regulating these emerging technologies at the international level is not merely a desirable situation—given the nature of the technologies and the elements of human destiny that are at stake, it is an imperative.
KeywordsEuropean Union Regulatory Framework Human Dignity Cognitive Enhancement Human Enhancement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.N.R.F. Al-Rodhan (2009), Sustainable History and the Dignity of Man: A Philosophy of History and Civilisational Triumph (Berlin: LIT), p. 180.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Bailey (2006), ‘Human Rights and Human Enhancement: Is Genetic Modification of People Moral?’, Reason Online, 29 May, http://www.reason.com/news/show/117339.html, date accessed 18 August 2010.
- 5.M. Brockman (2009), ‘A Limited View of the Future’, Nature, 459.7246, 28 May, 511.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Smits (2009), STOA Workshop in the European Parliament: A European Approach to Human Enhancement (Den Haag: Rathenau Institute).Google Scholar
- 12.The President’s Council on Bioethics (2003), Beyond Therapy: Biotechnology and the Pursuit of Happiness (Washington, D.C.).Google Scholar
- 14.F. Allhoff, P. Lin, and J. Steinberg (2009), ‘Ethics of Human Enhancement: An Executive Summary’, December, Science and Engineering Ethics, Vol. 16, No. 2, 3.Google Scholar
- 16.Cf. Allhoff et al. (2009), ‘Ethics of Human Enhancement: An Executive Summary’; P. Lin and F. Allhoff (2008)‘Against Unrestricted Human Enhancement’, Journal of Evolution & Technology, Vol. 18, No. 1, 35–41.Google Scholar
- 17.Ibid., p. 185.Google Scholar
- 18.Ibid., p. 210.Google Scholar
- 19.Ibid., pp. 187–191.Google Scholar
- 22.Cf. Smits (2009), STOA Workshop in the European Parliament: A European Approach to Human Enhancement.Google Scholar