The Science and Technology of Human Enhancement
Having outlined the vocabulary of human enhancement and the debate over the issue in general terms, it is time to address specific enhancements and the potential consequences of these enhancements in greater depth.
KeywordsArtificial Insemination Cosmetic Surgery Creatine Supplement Human Enhancement Vitro Fertilization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 15.P. Belluck (2009), ‘Burst of Technology Helps to See’, The New York Times, 26 September, http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/health/research/27eye.html?pagewanted=1, date accessed 17 August 2010.
- 16.F. Allhoff, P. Lin and J. Steinberg (2009), ‘Ethics of Human Enhancement: An Executive Summary’, December, Science and Engineering Ethics, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2.Google Scholar
- 23.J. Altmann (2008), ‘Military Uses of Nanotechnology—Too Much Complexity for International Security’, Complexity and Security, Vol. 14, No. 1, 64.Google Scholar
- 25.C. Stolba (2002/03) ‘Overcoming Motherhood’, Policy Review, Vol. 116, December/January, 31.Google Scholar
- 26.P. Singer (2009), ‘Parental Choice and Human Improvement’ in N. Bostrom and J. Savulescu (eds) Human Enhancement (Oxford: Oxford University Press), p. 279.Google Scholar
- 33.N. Bostrom (2003), ‘Human Genetic Enhancements: A Transhumanist Perspective’, Journal of Value Inquiry, Vol. 37, No. 4.Google Scholar
- 35.D.W. Brock (2009), ‘Is Selection of Children Wrong?’ in Bostrom and Savulescu (2009), Human Enhancement, p. 252.Google Scholar
- 36.M.D. Lemonick, D. Bjerklie and A. Park (1999), ‘Designer Babies’, Time Magazine, 11 January, http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,989987,00.html, date accessed 17 August 2010.
- 37.T. Assenheuer and J. Jessen (2002), ‘Interview: Auf schiefer Ebene’, Zeit Online, May, http://www.zeit.de/2002/05/200205_habermasint.xml, date accessed 17 August 2010.
- 38.M. Henderson (2010), ‘Demand for ‘Designer Babies To Grow Dramatically’, The Times of London, 7 January, http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/sci-ence/genetics/article6978400.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=1515793, date accessed 17 August 2010.
- 40.N. Bostrom and A. Sandberg (2009), ‘Cognitive Enhancement: Methods, Ethics, Regulatory Challenges’, Science and Engineering Ethics, Preprint, 2.Google Scholar
- 41.M.C. Roco and W.S. Bainbridge (2002), Converging Technologies for Improving Human Performance: Nanotechnology, Biotechnology, Information Technology and Cognitive Science (Arlington: National Science Foundation), p. 97.Google Scholar
- 42.W.J. Riedel (2008), ‘Psychopharmaceutical Cognition Enhancement’ in L. Zonneveld, H. Dijstelbloem and D. Ringoir (eds) Reshaping the Human Condition: Exploring Human Enhancement (The Hague: Rathenau Institute), p. 115.Google Scholar
- 43.Ibid., p. 116.Google Scholar
- 44.Ibid., p. 120.Google Scholar
- 46.T. Sejnowski (2010), ‘When Will We Be Able to Build Brains Like Ours?’ Scientific American, 27 April, http://www.scientificamerican.com/article. cfm?id=when-build-brains-like-ours, date accessed 17 August 2010.
- 49.Cf. U. Lee, H.J. Lee, S. Kim and H.C. Shin (2006), ‘Development of Interacranial Brain-Computer Interface System Using Non-Motor Brain Area for Series of Motor Functions’, Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 4, 98–200.Google Scholar
- 60.C. Dackis and C. O’Brien (2005), ‘Neurobiology of Addiction: Treatment and Public Policy Ramifications’, Nature, November, 1436.Google Scholar
- 64.K.W. Horch and G.S. Dhillon (eds) (2004), ‘Neuroprosthetics: Theory and Practice’, Series on Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 2, February, http://www.worldscibooks.com/engineering/4987.html, date accessed 17 August 2010.
- 67.M. Brain (2007), ‘How Uploading Works’, Journal of Geoethical Nanotechnology, Vol. 1, No. 2, Spring, http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/brain20070409/, date accessed 17 August 2010.