Cape of Good Hope
The present form of government of the colony of the Cape of Good Hope was established in the year 1852. By Letters Patent, dated 23rd May 1850, the Governor and Council were empowered to enact ordinances for the establishment of a Representative Government; two years later the present constitution was brought into force. It vests the executive in the Governor and an Executive Council, composed of certain office-holders appointed by the crown. The legislative power rests with a Legislative Council of 15 elected members, presided over ex-offwio by the Chief-justice, and a House of Assembly of 40 elected members, representing the country districts and towns of the colony. The Colonial Secretary, the Attorney-General, the Treasurer-General, and the Auditor-General, who are members of the Executive Council, can take part in the debates of the Legislative Council and House of Assembly; they can introduce new measures, but cannot vote in either House.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.