The Question of Regional Order in East Asia
David Arase explains how China’s rise to great power status amid deepening and widening regional interdependence profoundly changes both the question of Asian regional order and the requirements for stability at both the macro-regional and subregional levels. With the era of unipolar hegemonic order now ending, strategic interaction will determine whether the larger region achieves order based on bipolar competition, great power condominium, or multilateral regional governance.
KeywordsExclusive Economic Zone East Asian Regionalism Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation ASEAN Member Regional Order
- Alagappa, M. (2003). Constructing security order in Asia: Conceptions and issues. In M. Alagappa (Ed.), Asian security order: Instrumental and normative features. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Asia Briefing. (2013a). Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar economic corridor builds steam, [Online] October 25, 2013, Available from: http://www.asiabriefing.com/news/2013/10/bangladesh-china-india-myanmar-economic-corridor-builds-steam/. Accessed 21 Mar 2014.
- Asia Briefing. (2013b). The Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar trade corridor, [Online] June 7, 2013.Google Scholar
- Asian Development Bank. (2012). Initial assessments of road transport infrastructure and transport and logistic services for trade facilitation in the GMS countries (p. 2). Manila: Asian Development Bank.Google Scholar
- Cheng, D. (2014, July 9). The U.S. needs an integrated approach to counter China’s anti-access/area denial strategy (Backgrounder #2927). Washington, DC: Heritage Foundation. Available from: http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2014/07/the-us-needs-an-integrated-approach-to-counter-chinas-anti-accessarea-denial-strategy
- Christensen, T. J. (2015). The China challenge: Shaping the choices of a rising power. New York: W.W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Clinton, H. (2011). America’s Pacific century. Foreign Policy, 189(November 1), 6–12.Google Scholar
- Cui, T., & Pang, H. (2012) China-US relations in China’s overall diplomacy in the new era: On China and US working together to build a new-type relationship between major countries, 20 July. Available from: http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/wjb_663304/zzjg_663340/bmdyzs_664814/xwlb_664816/t953682.shtml
- Foreign Ministry of the PRC. (2014, December 7). Remarks by Mr. Xu Hong, Director-General of the Department of Treaty and Law of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, on the Position Paper of the Government of the People’s Republic of China on the Matter of Jurisdiction in the South China Sea Arbitration Initiated by the Republic of the Philippines. Available from: http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/zxxx_662805/t1217150.shtml
- Friedberg, A. (2011). A contest for supremacy: China, America, and the struggle for mastery in Asia. New York: W.W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Gao, Z., & Jia, B. (1998). The nine-dash line in the South China Sea: History, status, and implications. The American Journal of International Law, 107(98), 98–128.Google Scholar
- Goldstein, A. (2003). An emerging China’s emerging grand strategy. In G. J. Ikenberry & M. Mastanduno (Eds.), International relations theory and the Asia-Pacific (pp. 57–106). Ithaca: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Goldstein, L. J. (2015). Meeting China halfway: How to defuse the emerging US-China rivalry. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.Google Scholar
- Gupta, A. (2012). Myanmar’s critical role in boosting India’s look east policy, IDSA Comment [Online] February 2, 2012, Available from: http://idsa.in/idsacomments/MyanmarsCriticalRoleinBolsteringIndiasLookEastPolicy_agupta_020212
- IMF. (2007). The evolution of trade in emerging Asia. In Regional economic outlook: Asia-Pacific (pp. 41–53). Washington, DC. Available from: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/reo/2007/APD/ENG/areo1007.pdf
- Jacobs, J. B. (2014, June 26). China’s frail historical claims to the South China and East China Seas. Washington, DC: American Enterprise Institute. Available from: https://www.aei.org/publication/chinas-frail-historical-claims-to-the-south-china-and-east-china-seas/.
- Jin, K. (2013). Can China build a community of common destiny? The Diplomat, [Online] November 2013. Available from: http://thediplomat.com/2013/11/can-china-build-a-community-of-common-destiny/. Accessed 21 Mar 2014.
- Johnston, I. A. (2004). Beijing’s security behavior in the Asia-Pacific. In J. J. Suh, P. J. Katsenstein, & A. Carlson (Eds.), Rethinking security in east Asia: Identity, power, and efficiency (p. 81). Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Katzenstein, P. J. (2005). A world of regions: Asia and Europe in the American imperium (pp. 43–75). Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Khong, Y. F. (2004). Coping with strategic uncertainty: The role of institutions and soft balancing in Southeast Asia’s post-Cold war strategy. In J. J. Suh, P. J. Katsenstein, & A. Carlson (Eds.), Rethinking security in East Asia: Identity, power, and efficiency (pp. 172–208). Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- LaFeber, W. (1963). The new empire: An interpretation of American expansion 1860–1898. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Lampton, D. M. (2013). A new type of major-power relationship: Seeking a durable foundation for U.S.-China ties. Asia Policy 16, July. Available from: http://www.nbr.org/publications/element.aspx?id=650
- Li, C., & Xu, L. (2014, December 4). Chinese enthusiasm and US cynicism over the ‘new type of great power relations’. China-US Focus Digest. Available from: http://www.chinausfocus.com/foreign-policy/chinese-enthusiasm-and-american-cynicism-over-the-new-type-of-great-power-relations/
- Liefer, M. (1989). ASEAN and the security of South-East Asia. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Mearsheimer, J. (2001). The tragedy of great power politics. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China. (2013) Xi Jinping: Let the sense of community of common destiny take deep root in neighboring countries, [Online] October 25, 2013, Available from: http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_chn/zyxw_602251/t1093113.shtml. Accessed 21 Mar 2014.
- Pempel, T. J. (2005). Introduction: emerging webs of regional connectedness. In T. J. Pempel (Ed.), Remapping east Asia: The construction of a region (pp. 1–28). New York: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Pewglobal.org. (2015, September 9). Americans’ concerns about China: Economics, cyberattacks, human rights top the list. http://www.pewglobal.org/2015/09/09/americans-concerns-about-china-economics-cyberattacks-human-rights-top-the-list/
- Pillsbury, M. (2015). The hundred year marathon: China’s secret strategy to replace America as the global superpower. New York: Henry Holt.Google Scholar
- Pukhrem, S. (2012). The significance of connectivity in India-Myanmar relations, IDSA Comment, [Online] July 6, 2012, Available from: http://idsa.in/idsacomments/TheSignificanceofConnectivityinIndiaMyanmarRelations_spukhrem_230512
- Smith, T., & Leone, R. C. (1995). America’s mission. Princeton University Press: Princeton.Google Scholar
- Steinberg, J. (2009). Administration’s vision of the US-China relationship, keynote address at the center for a new American security. Washington, DC, 24 September. Available from: http://www.state.gov/s/d/former/steinberg/remarks/2009/169332.htm
- Steinberg, J., & O’Hanlon, M. E. (2014). Strategic reassurance and resolve: US-China relations in the twenty-first century. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Swaine, M., & Fravel, T. (2011). China’s assertive behavior—Part two: The maritime periphery. China Leadership Monitor, 35, 1–29. Available from: http://www.hoover.org/publications/china-leadershipmonitor/article/93591
- Thayer, C. A. (2011, June 30). China’s new wave of aggressive assertiveness in the South China Sea. Washington, DC: CSIS. https://csis.org/publication/chinas-new-wave-aggressive-assertiveness-south-china-sea
- The Guardian. (2009). Low targets, goals dropped: Copenhagen ends in failure, 18 December. Available from: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/dec/18/copenhagen-deal
- The New York Times. (2010, July 23). Offering to aid talks, U.S. challenges China on disputed Islands. Available from: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/24/world/asia/24diplo.html
- The Telegraph. (2009, July 6). Chinese officials call for end to dollar’s global dominance.Google Scholar
- Waltz, K. N. (1979). Theory of international politics (pp. 138–146). Menlo Park: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Williams, W. A. (2009). The tragedy of American diplomacy. New York: W.W. Norton & Co.Google Scholar
- Xinhua. (2013a). Xi Jinping makes an important speech at the work forum on diplomacy toward the periphery [习近平在周边外交工作座谈会上发表重要讲话强调]’, [Online] 25 October. Available from: http://www.chinanews.com/gn/2013/10-25/5427062.shtml
- Xinhua. (2013b) China vows to build community of common destiny with ASEAN, [Online] 3 October. Available from: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-10/03/c_132770494.htm
- Xinhuanet. (2012) Xi pledges ‘great renewal of the Chinese nation’, Xinhuanet.com, 29 November. Available from: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2012-11/29/c_132008231.htm
- Zhao, K. (2013). Common destiny needs stability, China Daily, [Online] December 31, 2013, Available from: http://www.china.org.cn/opinion/2013-12/31/content_31050741_2.htm, Accessed 21 Mar 2014.
- Zoellick, R. (2005, September 21). Whither China: From membership to responsibility? Remarks to the National Committee on U.S.-China Relations. Available from: http://2001-2009.state.gov/s/d/former/zoellick/rem/53682.htm