Taking Justice to Aboriginal People: Everyday Access to Justice as a Promising Area of Indigenous Policy in Australia
As Australia moves into the twenty-first century, its policy towards its Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples has focused on two primary areas: (1) making Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities safe as part of the Council of Australian Governments National Indigenous Reform Agreement (Closing the Gap); and (2) providing a fair, equitable, and accessible system of justice for Aboriginal and Torres Straits Islander peoples.
- H. Blagg (2008) Crime, Aboriginality and the Decolonisation of Justice, (Annandale: Hawkins Press).Google Scholar
- S. Ciftci and D. Howard-Wagner (2013) ‘Integrating Indigenous Justice into Alternative Dispute Resolution Practices: A Case Study of the Aboriginal Care Circle Pilot Program in Nowra’, Australian Indigenous Law Review, 16(2), 81–98.Google Scholar
- Australian Government Attorney-General’s Department (2009) ‘A Strategic Framework for Access to Justice in the Federal Civil Justice System, Report to the Justice Taskforce Attorney-General’s Department’, Commonwealth of Australia.Google Scholar
- C. Cuneen and M. Schwartz (2008) ‘The Family and Civil Law Needs of Aboriginal People in New South Wales Final Report’, (Law Faculty, University of New South Wales), http://www.alsnswact.org.au/ (homepage), date accessed 12 June 2017.
- R. Gilbert (2012) ‘Place-based Initiatives and Indigenous Justice’, Indigenous Justice Clearing House, Brief 13, June 2012.Google Scholar
- J. Hunt and D. Smith (2007) ‘Indigenous Community Governance Project: Year 2 Research Findings’, CAEPR Working Paper No. 36/2007, http://caepr.anu.edu.au/sites/default/files/Publications/WP/CAEPRWP36.pdf, date accessed 12 June 2017.
- R. Ivers and J. Burn (2014) ‘Indigenous Australians Need a License to Drive, But Also to Work’, The Conversation, 19 September 2014, https://theconversation.com/indigenous-australians-need-a-licence-to-drive-but-also-to-work-31480, date accessed 12 June 2014.
- E. Marchetti and K. Daly (2004) ‘Indigenous Courts and Justice Practices in Australia, Trends and Issues in Crimes and Criminal Justice’, No. 277, May 2004, Australian Government, Australian Institute of Criminology.Google Scholar
- NSW Justice and Attorney-General (2009) ‘Aboriginal Community Justice Groups, Aboriginal Programs 2009 Factsheet’, http://www.aho.nsw.gov.au/-ASSETS/media-publications/publications/factsheets/general-aho-fact-sheets/aboriginal-community-justice-groups, date accessed 28 June 2017.
- A. Sen (2011) The Idea of Justice, (Harvard: Harvard University Press).Google Scholar
- M. Turnbull MP (10 February 2016) ‘The Prime Ministers Speech to Parliament on the 2016 Closing the Gap Report’, https://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/media/speech-to-parliament-on-the-2016-closing-the-gap-report, date accessed 12 June 2017.