Contestations of Space: Developing a Twenty-First Century Indigenous Cartographic Practice
Although technology is changing the way maps are made and viewed, maps themselves are not a new invention. Throughout history, communities have made maps for a variety of purposes. For western cultures, the process of creating a map is primarily a political act, as maps are used to set boundaries and limits of governmental authority. In fact, mapping was one of the colonial tools used to establish European hegemony over the ‘New’ World and to systematically move land from Indigenous to European hands.
- K. Bailey, R. Beck, R. Frohn, D. Pleva, D. Plumer, M. Price, R. Krute, C. Ramos, and R. South (2001) ‘Native American Remote Sensing Distance Education Prototype (NARSDEP)’, Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 67(2).Google Scholar
- L. Behrendt (2008) ‘Ngurrara: The Great Sandy Desert Canvas’, Aboriginal Art Directory, http://www.aboriginalartdirectory.com/news/feature/ngurrara-the-great-sandy-desert-canvas.php, date accessed 25 July 2017.
- M. Chapin, Z. Lamb, and B. Threlkeld (2005) ‘Mapping Indigenous Lands’, Annual Review of Anthropology, 34.Google Scholar
- Cohen’s Handbook of Federal Indian Law (2012) (Albuquerque: American Indian Law Center, 2012).Google Scholar
- B. J. Colombi and J. F. Brooks (eds.) (2012) Keystone Nations: Indigenous Peoples and Salmon Across the North Pacific, (Santa Fe: School for Advanced Research).Google Scholar
- J. Enote and J. McLerran (eds.) (2011) A:shiwi A:wan Ulohnanne: The Zuni World, (Flagstaff: A:shiwi A:wan Museum and Heritage Center and the Museum of Northern Arizona), www.ashiwi-museum.org/collaborations/ashiwi-map-art/, date accessed 25 July 2017.
- C. Merrell (2013) ‘Map Rock Idaho Site to Be Protected’, La Pintura: The Official Newsletter of the American Rock Art Research Association, 39(1).Google Scholar
- N. Scott Momaday as quoted in K. Basso (1996) Wisdom Sits in Places, (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press).Google Scholar
- National Park Service (1978) ‘Indian Lands Areas Judicially Established’, http://www.nps.gov/nagpra/ DOCUMENTS/ClaimsMAP.htm, date accessed 25 July 2017.
- E. T. Perkins, Jr., Letter to John Wesley Powell, (14 January 1897) Washington, D.C. Smithsonian Institution Manuscript Number: NAA MS 3423-a. Record ID: siris_arc_1580, 1897.Google Scholar
- R. Roth (2009) ‘The Challenges of Mapping Complex Indigenous Spatiality: From Abstract Space to Dwelling Space’, Cultural Geographies, 16.Google Scholar
- D. E. Seagle and L. V. Bagwell (2001) ‘Mapping Blackfeet Indian Reservation Irrigation Systems with GPS and GIS’, Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 67(2).Google Scholar
- B. Sletto (2009a)‘“Indigenous People Don’t Have Boundaries”: Reborderings, Fire Management, and Productions of Authenticities in Indigenous Landscapes,’ Cultural Geographies, 16, 148.Google Scholar
- B. Sletto (2009b) ‘Special Issue: Indigenous Cartographies’, Cultural Geographies, 16.Google Scholar
- A. Taylor, D. Gadsden, J. J. Kerski, and H. Warren (eds.) (2012) Tribal GIS: Supporting Native American Decision Making, (Redlands, CA: ESRI Press).Google Scholar
- T. N. Tobias (2000) Chief Kerry’s Moose: A Guidebook to Land Use and Occupancy Mapping, Research Design and Data Collection, (Vacouver: Union of BC Indian Chiefs and Ecotrust Canada).Google Scholar
- T. N. Tobias (2009) Living Proof: The Essential Data-Collection Guide for Indigenous Use-And-Occupancy Map Surveys, (Vancouver: Ecotrust Canada and Union of BC Indian Chiefs).Google Scholar
- J. Wainwright and J. Bryan (2009) ‘Cartography, Territory, Property: Postcolonial Reflections on Indigenous Counter-Mapping in Nicaragua and Belize’, Cultural Geographies, 16.Google Scholar
- R. M. Weber and G. A. Dunno (2001) ‘Riparian Vegetation Mapping and Image Processing Techniques, Hopi Indian Reservation, Arizona’, Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 67(2).Google Scholar
- R. A. Williamson and Jhon Goes In Center (2001) ‘Using Geospatial Technologies to Enhance and Sustain Resource Planning on Native Lands’, Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 67(1).Google Scholar
Legislation and Cases
- Federal Acknowledgement of American Indian Tribes, 25 CFR Part 83.Google Scholar
- Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (1990).Google Scholar
- Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act As Amended (Public Law 101–601) 25 U.S.C. 3001 et seq.Google Scholar
- Menominee Tribe of Indians v United States (1968) 391 U.S. 404.Google Scholar
- United States v Platt (1990) 730 F. Supp. 318 (D. Ariz.).Google Scholar
- United States v Washington (1975) 390 F.Supp. 842.Google Scholar
- United States v Winans (1905) 198 U.S. 371.Google Scholar
- Zuni Tribe v United States (2006) 467 F.Supp.2d 1099 (D.N.M.).Google Scholar