Migrants as Agents of Micro Social Changes
The chapter brings evidence that migrants, under certain conditions, may act as local agents of change by circulating social remittances. Firstly, migrants need to act actively and daily in given opportunity structures both of community of origin and destination. Secondly, they need to have a local social recognition for spreading out forms of social change to such ideas and practices. Thirdly, they need to have a wide network of contacts. The chapter is based on selected nodes of key individuals and their followers from three translocal communities, filtered out from a general sample of 124 in-depth interviews collected in the transnational multisited longitudinal research. At the end of this chapter, we come up with the typology of migrants as ordinary agents of micro social changes in their local microcosms.
KeywordsNursing Home Return Migrant Sport Club Opportunity Structure Migratory Experience
- Bienkowska, D., Ulasinski, C., & Szymanska, J. (2011). Migracja powrotna w wojewodztwie slaskim w latach 2004–2011 – skala zjawiska, potencjal oraz poglebiona charakterystyka powracajacych. Krakow: Centrum Doradztwa Strategicznego.Google Scholar
- Eade, J., Drinkwater, S., & Garapich, M. P. (2006). Class and ethnicity – Polish migrants in London. Economic and social research council end of award report RES-000-22-1294 ESRC. London: University of Surrey. Accessed November 11, 2015, from http://www.surrey.ac.uk/cronem/files/POLISH_FINAL_RESEARCH_REPORT_WEB.pdf
- Garapich, M. P. (2012). Between cooperation and hostility–Constructions of ethnicity and social class among Polish migrants in London. Annales Universitatis Paedagogicae Cracoviensis, IV(2), 31–45.Google Scholar
- Katz, E., & Lazarsfeld, P. F. (1955). Personal influence: The part played by people in the flow of mass communications. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Levitt, P. (2001). The transnational villagers. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Rogers, E. M. (1983). Diffusion of innovations (3rd ed.). New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Rogers, E. M. (2003). Diffusion of innovations (5th ed.). New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Szymanska, J., Ulasinski, C., & Bienkowska, D. (2012). Zaraz wracam, albo i nie... Skala powrotow, motywacje i strategie zyciowe reemigrantow z wojewodztwa slaskiego. Centrum Doradztwa Strategicznego: Krakow, http://www.cds.krakow.pl/zalaczniki/277/Zaraz%20wracam...albo%20i%20nie.pdf.
- de Tarde, G. (1895). La logique sociale (2nd ed.). Paris: Alean.Google Scholar
- de Tarde, G. (1903). The laws of imitation. New York: H. Holt and Company.Google Scholar
- Thomas, W. I., & Znaniecki, F. (1918). The Polish peasant in Europe and America: Monograph of an immigrant group. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar