The Unfinished Business of Brexit
- 3.7k Downloads
This chapter examines the policy implications of Brexit. The UK faces the conundrum of whether to participate in the single market from outside the EU and how to continue as a single state. Because Scots did not vote to leave the EU, the Scottish government interprets the referendum as a mandate to pursue ways of retaining the benefits of EU membership. Yet reconfiguring relations with the EU is riddled with contradictions between motivation and outcome as something must give in the tug of war between single market participation and free movement of people. A similar dilemma is present in the Scottish nationalist project of quitting the UK, as resolving the outstanding currency question will create new dependencies.
KeywordsBrexit Scottish independence SNP Single market Free movement EEA
- Centre for European Reform. 2014. The Economic Consequences of Leaving the EU: The Final Report of the CER Commission on the UK and the Single Market. Available at https://www.cer.org.uk/sites/default/files/smc_final_report_june2014.pdf.
- Gad, Ulrik Pram. 2016. Could a ‘Reverse Greenland’ Keep Scotland and Northern Ireland in the EU. LSE EUROPP blog. Available at http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2016/07/07/reverse-greenland-arrangement/. Accessed 6 Aug 2016.
- Grant, Charles. 2016. Theresa May and Her Six-Pack of Difficult Ideas. Centre for European Reform. Available at http://www.cer.org.uk/insights/theresa-may-and-her-six-pack-difficult-deals. Accessed 6 Aug 2016.
- Hix, Simon. 2016. No More Denial: Let’s Accept the Inevitable and Fight for the Best Brexit We Can. EUROPP. Available at http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2016/07/17/no-more-denial. Accessed 6 Aug 2016.
- Home Office. 2012. Emigration from the UK. Research Report 68, November 2012. Available at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/116025/horr68-report.pdf. Accessed 6 Aug 2016.
- House of Commons Library. 2013. Leaving the EU. Research Paper 13/42. Available at www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/rp13-42.pdf. Accessed 6 Aug 2016.
- Merkel, Angela. 2016. Angela Merkel Takes Tough Stance in Brexit Negotiations. Financial Times, 28 June. Available at https://www.ft.com/content/4baa4996-3d14-11e6-9f2c-36b487ebd80a. Accessed 6 Aug 2016.
- Minford, Patrick, Vidya Mahambare, and Eric Nowell. 2005. Should Britain Leave the EU? An Economic Analysis of a Troubled Relationship. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. Also available at http://www.patrickminford.net/europe/book_index.html. Accessed 6 Aug 2016.Google Scholar