2 ‘Wear a Necklace of h(r)ope Side by Side with Me’: Young People’s Neo-Liberal Futures and Popular Culture as Political Action
- 477 Downloads
AU: As per standard practice, ellipsis are used only for quoted text. Consider deleting the ellipsis and providing the required text here and other instances in the chapter.
KeywordsYoung People Global Financial Crisis Enter Labour Market Social Networking Technology Ideological Label
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Baudrillard, J. 1983. In the shadow of the silent majorities—or the end of the social and other essays. New York: Semiotext(e).Google Scholar
- Brown, W. 2015. Undoing the demos: Neoliberalism’s stealth revolution. Brooklyn: Zone Books.Google Scholar
- Butler, J., and A. Athanasiou. 2013. Dispossession: The performative in the political. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- Chomsky, N. 2012. Occupy. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Collins, S. 2008. The hunger games. London: Scholastic.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009. The hunger games: Catching fire. London: Scholastic.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010. The hunger games: Mockingjay. London: Scholastic.Google Scholar
- Daily Mail Australia. 2012. ‘Girls’ very unlikely demographic: How more men over 50 are watching hit HBO series than actual twenty-something girls. Daily Mail Australia, 19 June. Available from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2161274/Girls-unlikely-demographic-How-men-50-watching-hit-HBO-series-actual-girls.html. Accessed 4 Jan 2016.
- Furlong, A. 2007. The zone of precarity and discourses of vulnerability: NEET in the UK. The Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities 381: 101–121.Google Scholar
- Furlong, A., and F. Cartmel. 2007. Young people and social change: New perspectives, 2nd edn. Maidenhead: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Harris, A. 2004. Future girl: Young women in the twenty-first century. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hertz, N. 2015. Generation K: What it means to be a teen [online]. Available from http://www.noreena.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Generation-K.jpg. Accessed 14 Dec 2015.
- Howie, L., and P. Campbell. 2015. Guerrilla selfhood: Imagining young people’s entrepreneurial futures. Journal of Youth Studies [online first] 19(7): 906–920. doi: 10.1080/13676261.2015.1123236.
- Hughes, S. 2015. In debt, out of luck: Why Generation K fell in love with The Hunger Games [online]. The Guardian, November 1. Available from http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/31/hunger-games-mockingjay-teenage-anxiety. Accessed 4 Dec 2015.
- Khader, J. 2014. Mockingjay delusions: The Hunger Games and the postcolonial revolution to come [online]. The Postcolonialist, January 27. Available from http://postcolonialist.com/civil-discourse/mockingjay-delusions-the-hunger-games-and-the-postcolonial-revolution-to-come/.
- Mydans, S. 2014. Thai protesters are detained after using ‘Hunger Games’ salute [online]. The New York Times, November 20. Available from http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/world/asia/thailand-protesters-hunger-games-salute.html?_r=0. Accessed 21 Apr 2015.
- Rosin, H. 2015. The Silicon Valley suicides [online]. The Atlantic, December. Available from http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/12/the-silicon-valley-suicides/413140/. Accessed 17 Nov 2015.
- Schmitt, E. 2015. ISIS followers in U.S. are diverse and young [online]. The New York Times, December 1. Available from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/us/politics/56-arrests-in-us-this-year-related-to-isis-study-says.html?_r=0. Accessed 1 Dec 2015.
- Sim, D. 2014a. Hong Kong: Defiant protesters give Hunger Games’ three-fingered salute as police clear camp [online]. International Business Times, December 11. Available from http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/hong-kong-defiant-protesters-give-hunger-games-three-fingered-salute-police-clear-camp-1479120. Accessed 21 Apr 2015.
- ———. 2014b. Thailand: Anti-coup protesters adopt Hunger Games’ three-fingered salute. International Business Times, June 3. Available from http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/thailand-anti-coup-protesters-adopt-hunger-games-three-fingered-salute-1451036. Accessed 21 Apr 2015.
- Standing, G. 2014. The precariat: The new dangerous class. London: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- Stossel, S. 2014. My age of anxiety: Fear, hope, dread and the search for peace of mind. London: William Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Turner, B. 2006. Vulnerability and human rights. University Park, PA: The Pennsylvania State University Press.Google Scholar
- Walsh, L. 2015. Educating generation next: Young people, teachers and schooling in transition. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Wyn, J., and R. White. 1997. Rethinking youth. St Leonards: Allen & Unwin.Google Scholar
- Žižek, S. 2012. Slavoj Žižek on The Avengers (2012) [online]. Available from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4pcDLI57c. Accessed 11 May 2015.
- ———. 2014. Trouble in paradise: From the end of history to the end of capitalism. London: Allen Lane.Google Scholar
© The Author(s) 2017