Positive Policing: Communication and the Public
Communication is perhaps one of the most important aspects of law enforcement, yet it is also perhaps one which is neglected more often than others as being secondary to the important role of the police as crime fighters and law enforcers. However, communication is something that is ignored at an individual’s (officer) or agency’s peril. This chapter discusses the important role of communication between officers, departments, agencies, and most definitely the importance of good communication with the general public. It will also address some suggestions for how this can be tackled and successfully achieved, thereby providing for a more positive image of the police and in this manner creating a culture of support in the community.
KeywordsCommunity Communication Local policing
- Barker, V., Giles, H., Hajek, C., Ota, H., Noels, K., Lim, T.-S., & Somera, L. (2008). Police communication. Why does it matter? Communication Currents, 3(3). Available at: https://www.natcom.org/CommCurrentsArticle.aspx?id=886.
- Bear, D., & Reiken, J. (2012, March 24). Should all police officers really be university-educated? The Guardian. Available at: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/mar/24/police-officers-university-education.
- Bernstein, B. (1961). Social class and linguistic development – A theory of social learning. In A. H. Halsey, J. Floud, & C. A. Anderson (Eds.), Education, economy and society. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Bruckheimer, J. (Producer). (2002). CSI Miami [Television Series]. Fairfax, Los Angeles, CA: CBS Television Network.Google Scholar
- Childs, T. (Producer). (1987). Morse [Television Series]. Birmingham, UK: Zenith Productions – Central Independent Television.Google Scholar
- Coveny, J., & Baldwin, H. (Producers). (2012). Longmire [Television Series]. Burbank (CA): Warner Horizon Television.Google Scholar
- Craven, K. (2009, February). Foot patrols: Crime analysis and community engagement to further the commitment to community policing. Community Policing Dispatch, 2(2). Available at: http://cops.usdoj.gov/html/dispatch/February_2009/foot_patrol.htm.
- Doyle, M. (2014, March). Cell phones on duty. Police: The Law Enforcement Magazine. Available at: http://www.policemag.com/channel/technology/articles/2014/03/cell-phones-on-duty.aspx.
- Estey, J. G. (2005, April). The presidents message: Communication is critical to law enforcement. The Police Chief, 72(3). Available at: http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=561&issue_id=42005.
- Ferrell, C. E. (2013 October). The future is here: How police officers’ videos protect officers and departments. The Police Chief, 80, 16–18. Available at: http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=3139&issue_id=102013.Google Scholar
- Glennon, J. (2010, February 22). Communication skills and your survival. PoliceOne.com. Available at: https://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/2008039-Communication-skills-and-your-survival/.
- Greer, C., & Reiner, R. (2012). Mediated Mayhem: Media, crime, criminal justice. In M. Maguire, R. Morgan, & R. Reiner (Eds.), The Oxford handbook of criminology (5th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Hall, M. (2013). Bobbies on the beat could become an endangered species, police association head warns. The Independent. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10294708/Bobbies-on-the-beat-could-become-an-endangered-species-police-association-head-warns.html.
- Kelling, G. L., & Moore, M. H. (1988 November). The evolving strategy of policing. Perspectives on Policing, No. 4. Washington, DC: National Institute of Justice.Google Scholar
- Navarro, J. (2008). What every body is saying. New York, NY: Harper.Google Scholar
- Police Staff. (2005, December 1). Does community policing work? Police: The Law Enforcement Magazine. Available at: http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/articles/2005/12/does-community-policing-work.aspx.
- Siegel, D. (Producer & Director). (1971). Dirty Harry [Motion Picture]. Burbank, CA: Malpaso Productions.Google Scholar
- Swinden, K. (Producer). (2010). Luther [Television Series]. London, UK: BBC Drama Productions.Google Scholar
- Tooley, M., Linkenbach, J., Lande, B. J., & Lande, G. M. (2009). Media, the public, and the law enforcement community: Correcting misperceptions. The Police Chief, 76(6), 62–67.Google Scholar
- White, S. (Producer). (2014). Gotham [Television Series]. Burbank, CA: Warner Bros.Google Scholar
- Wyllie, D., (2011). The reserve officer’s role in law enforcement. PoliceOne.com. Available at: https://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/4239138-The-reserve-officers-role-in-law-enforcement/.
- Yost, G. (Producer). (2010). Justified [Television Series]. Los Angeles, CA: FX Productions.Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.