Individual Attitudes Toward Human Rights
- 183 Downloads
This chapter looks into xenophobia and homophobia across countries and time. The empirical analyses use data collected by the World Values Survey group (1981–2014) and Pew Research Center (2002–2013).
References and Further Readings
- Adorno, T.W., E. Frankel-Brunswick, D. Levinson, and R. Nevitt Sanford. 1950. The Authoritarian Personality. New York: Harper.Google Scholar
- Altman, D., and J. Symons. 2016. Queer Wars: The New Global Polarization over Gay Rights. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- Boyle, E.H. 2002. Female Genital Cutting: Cultural Conflict in the Global Community. New York: The Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Deeming, C., and K. Jones. 2015. Investigating the Macro Determinants of Self-Rated Health and Well-Being Using the European Social Survey: Methodological Innovations Across Nations and Time. International Journal of Sociology 45 (4): 256–285.Google Scholar
- Derbyshire, D., and I.D. Derbyshire. 2000. Encyclopedia of World Political Systems. Vol. 1 and 2. Armonk, NY: Sharpe Reference.Google Scholar
- Eisenstadt, S.N. 2000. Multiple Modernities. Daedalus 129 (1): 1–29.Google Scholar
- Finnemore, M. 1996. Constructing Norms of Humanitarian Intervention. In The Culture of National Security: Norms and Identity in World Politics, ed. P. Katzenstein, 153–178. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Frank, D.J., S.A. Boutcher, and B. Camp. 2009. The Reform of Sodomy Laws from a World Society Perspective. In Queer Mobilizations: LGBT Activists Confront the Law, ed. S. Barclay, M. Bernstein, and A.-M. Marshall, 123–141. New York: NYU Press.Google Scholar
- Hadler, M., and J. Meyer. 2009. Tangled Paths to a World Culture. Contradictory Trends in Attitudes to Globalization. In Charting the Globe. The International Social Survey Program, 1985–2000, ed. M. Haller, R. Jowell, and T.W. Smith, 267–280. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hadler, M., and J. Symons. 2017. Divergent Trends in Homophobia and Its Reflection in Public Attitudes. Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association, Montreal, Canada, August.Google Scholar
- Homans, G.C. 1974. Social Behavior. Its Elementary Forms. Revised ed. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.Google Scholar
- Inglehart, R. 1990. Culture Shift in Advanced Industrial Society. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1997. Modernization and Postmodernization: Cultural Economics, and Political Change in 43 Societies. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1999. Postmodernization Erodes Respect for Authority, but Increases Support for Democracy. In Critical Citizens. Global Support for Democratic Governance, ed. P. Norris. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA). 2016. Aengus Carroll and Lucas Paoli Itaborahy. In State Sponsored Homophobia 2016: A World Survey of Laws: Criminalisation, Protection and Recognition. Geneva: ILGA.Google Scholar
- International Service for Human Rights. 2010. GA Third Committee Deletes ‘Sexual Orientation’ from Resolution on Extrajudicial Executions, November 22. http://archive.today/4wUv. Accessed 15 Mar 2016.
- ———. 2011. GA Restores Sexual Orientation into EJEs Resolution, Adopts Key Texts on Death Penalty, Iran, DPRK, 23 Mar. http://www.ishr.ch/general-assembly/983-ga-reintroduces-sexual-orientation-reference-into-ejes-resolution-adopts-key-texts-on-death-penalty. Accessed 15 Mar 2016.
- Meyer, J.W. 2007. Reflections on Institutional Theories of Organizations. In Handbook of Organizational Institutionalism, ed. R. Greenwood, C. Oliver, R. Suddaby, and K. Shalin-Andersson, 788–809. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Olzak, S. 1994. Dynamics of Ethnic Competition and Conflict. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Polity Project. 2015. Polity IV Project Data. http://www.systemicpeace.org/. Accessed 15 Mar 2016.
- Putnam, R.D., and D.E. Campbell. 2010. American Grace: How Religion Unites and Divides Us. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Stacy, H. 2009. Human Rights for the 21st Century. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Todosijevic, B., and Z. Enyedi. 2008. Political Tolerance in Eastern and Western Europe: Social and Psychological Roots, ISSP 31st Annual Scientific Meeting 2008, July, Paris.Google Scholar
- UN. 2015. United Nations Statistical Databases. http://unstats.un.org/unsd/databases.htm
- Union of International Associations. 2017. http://www.uia.org/faq. Accessed 11 Apr 2017.
- World Bank. 2014 and 2015. World Bank Open Data. http://data.worldbank.org/. Accessed at Various Times.
© The Author(s) 2017