Solo Instruments and Internal Focalization in Dario Marianelli’s Pride & Prejudice and Atonement
- 999 Downloads
The essay explores how Dario Marianelli uses solo instruments to represent individual characters, a convention that has a long tradition in opera, programme music and film music. In representing characters, solo instruments most often speak for and not just about those characters, and Marianelli states that in Pride & Prejudice (2005) ‘the piano is the inner voice of Elizabeth’. In this way, solo instruments are used for what French literary theorist Gérard Genette calls internal focalization, that is, the narrator presents information from the point of view of a character. The essay examines the role different solo instruments play in conveying the inner states of Elizabeth Bennet in Pride & Prejudice and Robbie Turner in Atonement (2007), but also how the subjective perspective in the latter film is made ambiguous by its denouement.
KeywordsInternal Focalization Feature Commentary Major Version Narrative Perspective True Love
- Anon. n.d. Pride And Prejudice By Dario Marianelli. http://www.classicfm.com/composers/marianelli/guides/film-score-focus-dario-marianelli/#SPkXdaXraeUt1fhk.97. Accessed 15 September 2015.
- Berlioz, Hector. 1948. Treatise on Instrumentation. Enlarged and revised by Richard Strauss, trans. Theodore Front. New York: Kalmus.Google Scholar
- Branigan, Edward. 1992. Narrative Comprehension and Film. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Cartmell, Deborah. 2010. Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice: The Relationship Between Text and Film. London: Methuen Drama.Google Scholar
- From Novel to Screen: Adapting a Classic. 2010. Atonement, extras on Blu-ray Disc. Directed by Joe Wright. Universal Studios.Google Scholar
- Genette, Gérard. 1980. Narrative Discourse. Trans. Jane E. Lewin. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Goldwasser, Dan. 2006. A Musical Vendetta. Soundtrack.Net, 15 March. http://www.soundtrack.net/content/article/?id=187. Accessed 3 June 2015.
- Hamilton, Kenneth L. 2001. Berceuse. Grove Music Online. Oxford Music Online, Oxford University Press. http://www.oxfordmusiconline.com.ezp.sub.su.se/subscriber/article/grove/music/02749. Accessed 7 June 2016.
- Hampton, Christopher. 2007. Atonement: The Shooting Script. Based on the novel by Ian McEwan. New York: Newmarket Press.Google Scholar
- Heldt, Guido. 2013. Music and Levels of Narration in Film: Steps Across the Border. Bristol: Intellect.Google Scholar
- Kalinak, Kathryn. 1992. Settling the Score: Music and the Classical Hollywood Film. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, Jon, Al Kaplan, and Tim Curran. 2008. Nothing to Atone For: Dario Marianelli’s Atonement Score, Boldly Front and Center. Film Score Monthly Online, Vol. 13, No. 1 (January), http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/fsmonline/story.cfm?maid=1193
- Karlin, Fred. 1994. Listening to Movies: The Film Lover’s Guide to Film Music. New York: Schirmer.Google Scholar
- Klein, Michael L. 2005. Intertextuality in Western Art Music. Bloomington, IL: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Koppl, Rudy. n.d. Atonement: A Twist of Mind. http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/index5.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=‘. (2743). Accessed 1 June 2015.
- Laing, Heather. 2004. Gabriel Yared’s the English Patient: A Film Score Guide. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press.Google Scholar
- Levinson, Jerrold. 1996. Film Music and Narrative Agency. In Post-Theory: Reconstructing Film Studies, ed. David Bordwell and Noël Carroll, 248–282. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.Google Scholar
- Macauly, Scott. 2007. Dario Marianelli. Playing to Type: Scoring Atonement, 30 November. www.focusfeatures.com/article/dario_marianelli. Accessed 8 June 2015.
- Macdonald, Hugh. 2002. Berlioz’ Orchestration Treatise: A Translation and Commentary. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Marianelli, Dario. 2005. Note from the Composer, Dario Marianelli. Liner notes to Music from the Motion Picture ‘Pride & Prejudice’. Decca B000AD1NXK.Google Scholar
- Moggach, Deborah. n.d. Pride and Prejudice. The Internet Movie Script Database (IMSDb). http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Pride-and-Prejudice.html. Accessed 21 May 2016.
- Reesman, Bryan. 2006. Dario Marianelli. Mixonline, 1 June. http://www.mixonline.com/news/films-tv/dario-marianelli/369137. Accessed 24 May 2016.
- Spunberg, Adam. 2011. Scripting Pride & Prejudice with Deborah Moggach Pt. II. ScreenPicks, 5 April, http://screenpicks.com/2011/04/scripting-pride-prejudice-with-deborah-moggach-pt-ii/. Accessed 12 June 2016.
- Wagner, Annie. 2005. Weeping into a Pint of Lager: Joe Wright on the Making of ‘Pride & Prejudice. The Stranger, 10 November. http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=25183. Accessed 5 June 2016.
- Wright, Joe. 2010a. Commentary. Pride & Prejudice, Blu-ray Disc. Directed by Joe Wright. Universal Studios.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010b. Feature Commentary. Atonement, Blu-ray Disc. Directed by Joe Wright. Universal Studios.Google Scholar