Self-Interest and Rationality: The Modern Connection
This chapter engages in a detailed examination of the modern view of economic rationality, as represented in the Rational Choice Theory of human behavior. The chapter develops a thorough critique of this view of economic rationality, highlighting its many contradictions and calamities, with a special focus on the opinions of Amartya Sen, Andre Gorz, and Alasdair MacIntyre.
- ———. 2009. Reason and Rationality. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Foley, Duncan K. 2004. Rationality and Ideology in Economics. Social Research 71 (2): 329–338.Google Scholar
- Gorz, Andre. 1989. Critique of Economic Reasoning. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Knight, Frank H. 1951. The Economic Organization. New York: Augustus Kelley.Google Scholar
- Sen, Amartya. 2010. The Idea of Justice. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Skidelsky, Robert. 2015. John Maynard Keynes: The Essential Keynes. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar