Transitional Memoirs: Reading Using a Queer Cultural Capital Model
- 661 Downloads
Pennell provides a unit plan for high school English teachers centered on two memoirs written by transgender teens: Some Assembly Required and Rethinking Normal. Using a queer cultural capital model, students will read the memoirs and analyze moments of strength exemplified by Andrews and Hill as they transition during high school. By reading these memoirs as a pair, students are prevented from thinking that there is only one way to be transgender. The unit plan includes definitions of the forms of queer cultural capital, examples from each text, and a unit assessment.
KeywordsCultural Capital Transgender Teen Tulsa World Resistant Capital Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- Andrews, A. (2014). Some assembly required: The not-so-secret life of a transgender teen. New York: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Barcroft TV. (2012, November 14). Transgender love story: Transgender couple fall in love. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g35kGQGwwM8
- Barcroft TV. (2013, July 22). Transgender love story: Life after surgery. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRKQJCC_RSM
- Barcroft TV. (2014, January 10). Transgender love story: Arin and Katie break up. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ4bmxcSNDU
- Barneys New York. (2014, January 31). Brothers, sisters, sons, & daughters- Introducing Katie and Arin. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9FL3cwdhFo
- Biography. (2015). Ruby Bridges biography: Civil rights activist. Retrieved from http://www.biography.com/people/ruby-bridges-475426
- Boellstorff, T., & Leap, W. (2004). Introduction: Globalization and “new” articulatoins of same-sex desire. In W. Leap & T. Boellstorff (Eds.), Speaking in queer tongues: Globalization and gay language (pp. 1–22). Urbana/Chicago: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (1986). The forms of capital. In J. G. Richardson (Ed.), Handbook of theory and research for the sociology of education (pp. 241–258). Westport: Greenwood Press.Google Scholar
- Chávez, K. (2013). Queer migration politics: Activist rhetoric and coalitional possibilities. Chicago: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Common Core State Standards Initiative. (2015). English language arts standards. Accessed at http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/
- Gallagher, K. (2006). Teaching adolescent writers. Portland: Stenhouse Publishers.Google Scholar
- Garza, A. (2014, October 7). A herstory of the #BlackLivesMatter movement. The Feminist Wire. Retrieved from http://thefeministwire.com/2014/10/blacklivesmatter-2/
- Hill, K. (2014). Rethinking normal: A memoir in transition. New York: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Spinwall, C. (2011a, May 7). Part one: Katie Hill finds herself after 16 years living as a boy. Tulsa World. Accessed at http://www.tulsaworld.com/
- Spinwall, C. (2011b, May 8). Katie Hill braves returning to school, finds love. Tulsa World. Accessed at http://www.tulsaworld.com/
- tulsaworld. (2012, April 5). Becoming Katie. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xktfuvg2dyc
- White, A., & Stallybrass, P. (1986). The politics and poetics of transgression. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.