- 132 Downloads
The issue of family is a complicated one indeed. All too often, the discussion of family life within LGBT populations is reduced to same-sex marriage. This chapter expands that discussion to include broader issues such as support within families, relationships, and children.
KeywordsFamily Family life Relationships Children Same-sex marriage Marriage
- Battle, J., A.J. Pastrana Jr., and J. Daniels. 2013a. Social Justice Sexuality Survey: The Executive Summary for the Asian and Pacific Islander Sample. New York. Retrieved from http://socialjusticesexuality.com/files/2014/09/API_ExecutiveSummary_062013.pdf.
- Chung, Y.B., and M. Katayama. 1998. Ethnic and Sexual Identity Development of Asian American Lesbian and Gay Adolescents. Professional School Counseling 1(3): 21–25.Google Scholar
- Facts at a Glance. 2012. LGBT Families of Color: Facts at a Glance. Retrieved from http://www.nbjc.org/sites/default/files/lgbt-families-of-color-facts-at-a-glance.pdf
- Han, J. 2000. Organizing Korean Americans Against Homophobia. Sojourner 25(10): 1–4.Google Scholar
- Knight, R., and D.S. Garcia. 1994. Homosexual Parenting: Bad for Children, Bad for Society. Washington, DC: Family Research Council.Google Scholar
- Liu, P.M., and C.S. Chan. 1996. Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Asian Americans and Their Families. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Mangton, P., M. Carvalho, and S. Pandya. 2002. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health. A Brown Paper: The health of South Asians in the United States. South Asian Public Health Association. Retrieved from http://joinsapha.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/BrownPaper-LGBT-Health.pdf.
- Nakamura, N., J. R. Flojo, and M. Dittrich. 2009. Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Asian Americans: Coming Out In Context. In Jean Lau Chin (Ed.), Diversity in Mind and in Action, 33–35. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers.Google Scholar
- Newman, B.S., and P.G. Muzzonigro. 1993. The Effects of Traditional Family Values on the Coming Out Process of Gay Male Adolescents. Adolescence 28: 213–226.Google Scholar
- Peplau, L.A., R.C. Veniegas, S.M. Campbell, R.C. Savin-Williams, and K.M. Cohen. 1996. Gay and Lesbian Relationships. Orlando, FL: Harcourt Brace College Publishers.Google Scholar
- Peplau, L. A., and S. D. Cochran. 1990. A Relationship Perspective on Homosexuality. In D. P. McWhirter, S. A. Sanders, & J. M. Reinisch (Eds.), Homosexuality/Heterosexuality: Concepts of Sexual Orientation, 321–349. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Pew Research Center. 2013b. The Rise of Asian Americans. Pew Research Center. Retrieved from http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/2013/04/Asian-Americans-new-full-report-04-2013.pdf.
- Tran, D.K. 1998. Transgender/ Transsexual Roundtable. In D. Eng and A. Hom (Eds.), Q & A: Queer in Asian America, 227–243. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press.Google Scholar
- Uba, L. 1994. Asian Americans: Personality Patterns, Identity, and Mental Health. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- The Open University. 2013. Enduring Love? Couple Relationships in the 21st Century. The Open University. Retrieved from http://www.open.ac.uk/researchprojects/enduringlove/sites/www.open.ac.uk.researchprojects.enduringlove/files/files/ecms/web-content/Final-Enduring-Love-Survey-Report.pdf.
- Weston, K. 1991. Families we Choose: Lesbians, Gays, Kinship. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- The Williams Institute. 2010. LGBT Latino/a Individuals and Latino/a Same-sex Couples. The Williams Institute. http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/Census-2010-Latino-Final.pdf.