Syrian and Syrian Palestinian Women in Lebanon: ‘Actors of Citizenship’?
With a focus on women’s ‘political participation’ broadly construed, this chapter aims to critically analyze how Syrian and Syrian Palestinian refugee women in Lebanon are ‘constructed’ in official documentation by the international organizations, UNHCR and UNRWA. This is juxtaposed with an exploration of different initiatives that Syrian and Palestinian Syrian women refugees are engaged with ‘on the ground’, and I argue that by ‘acting’ politically, they constitute themselves as ‘citizens’. Given the increasing presence of refugee populations in the Arab world, the majority of whom are women, I argue for a contextualized reconsideration of ‘citizenship’, ‘gender’, and ‘human rights’ in the Arab world.
KeywordsCitizenship Gender Lebanon Refugees UNHCR UNRWA
- Abu Nasser, Mitwali. 2013. ‘Fleeing Towards Another Death: Syrian Palestinians in Lebanon’ 21–25. http://www.lb.boell.org/downloads/P6-Article_5_-_Mitwalli.pdf. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- Al Husseini, Jalal. 2010. UNRWA and the Refugees: A Difficult but Lasting Marriage. Journal of Palestine Studies 40(1): 6–26.Google Scholar
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. 2012. Local Coordination Committees of Syria. http://carnegieendowment.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=50426&reloadFlag=1. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- Carnegie Middle East Center. 2012. Building the Syrian State. http://carnegie-mec.org/publications/?fa=49517. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- Cavatorta, Francesco. 2012. Arab Spring: The Awakening of Civil Society. A General Overview Barcelona: European Institute of the Mediterranean Yearbook, 75–81.Google Scholar
- Chatty, Dawn. 2010. Introduction. In No Refuge: Palestinians in Lebanon (Working Paper Series 64), 3–6. Oxford: Refugee Studies Centre.Google Scholar
- Daily Spud. 2013. Spud Sunday: Better Through Food. http://www.thedailyspud.com/2013/10/14/kamal-mouzawak-lebanon-souk-el-tayeb/. Accessed 19 May 2015.
- Daily Star. 2013. ‘Recreating the gathering: Syrian Women Unite’. (Gormley, S.) December 10, 2013. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Culture/Lifestyle/2013/Dec-10/240472-recreating-the-gathering-syrian-women-unite.ashx. Accessed 19 May 2015.
- Deacon, Roger. 1998. Strategies of Governance Michel Foucault on Power. Theoria: A Journal of Social and Political Theory. Justice Equality and Difference 92: 113–148.Google Scholar
- DFID. 2013. New Numbers for Displaced People Inside Syria. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-numbers-for-displaced-people-inside-syria. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- ———. 2014. UK Aid Syrian Response. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/271623/DFID_Syria_Humanitarian_Programme_Summary_15.01.14.pdf. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- Equality Now. 2014. Global: Include Women in the Syrian Peacebuilding Process Now! http://www.equalitynow.org/es/node/2059. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- Fadlalla, Amal Hassan. 2009. Contested Borders of (In)humanity: Sudanese Refugees and the Mediation of Suffering and Subaltern Visibilities. Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development 38(1): 79–120.Google Scholar
- Fincham, Kathleen. 2013. Shifting Youth Identities and Notions of Citizenship in the Palestinian Diaspora: The Case of Lebanon. In Naturalization Policies, Education and Citizenship: Multicultural and Multination Societies in International Perspective, ed. D. Kiwan, 150–177. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Heinrich Boll Stiftung Foundation. 2013. A Documentary on the Hardships and Brutal Choices Faced by Female Syrian Refugees. http://www.lb.boell.org/web/113-1357.html. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- Held, David. 1993. Political Theory and the Modern State. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Hivos. 2013. New Hivos Partner: Syrian Women’s Forum for Peace. http://www.hivos.org/news/new-hivos-partner-syrian-womens-forum-peace. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- Isin, Engin F. 2008. Theorizing acts of citizenship. In Acts of Citizenship, eds. E.F. Isin and G.M. Nielsen, 15–43. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Isin, Engin F. 2009. Citizenship in Flux: The Figure of the Activist Citizen. Subjectivity, suppl. Special Issue: Conflicts of Mobility, Migration, Labour 29: 367–388.Google Scholar
- Kiwan, Dina. 2008. Education for Inclusive Citizenship. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Malkki, Liisa H. 1995. Refugees and Exile: From “Refugee Studies” to the National Order of Things. Annual Review of Anthropology 24: 495–523.Google Scholar
- Pateman, Carole. 1988. The Patriarchal Welfare State. In The Welfare State Reader, eds. C. Pierson and F.G. Castles. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Peteet, Julie Marie. 2005. Landscape of Hope and Despair: Palestinian Refugee Camps. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania.Google Scholar
- Shafir, Gershon. 1998. Introduction. In The Citizenship Debates, ed. G. Shafir, 1–28. Minneapolis: Minnesota University Press.Google Scholar
- Suleiman, Jaber. 2010. Trapped Refugees: The Case of Palestinians in Lebanon. In No Refuge: Palestinians in Lebanon (Working Paper Series 64), 7–18. Oxford: Refugee Studies Centre.Google Scholar
- ———. 2008. A Community-based Approach in UNHCR Operations. http://www.refworld.org/pdfid/47da54722.pdf. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- ———. 2013a. Protection Policy Paper: Understanding Community-Based Protection. Division of International Protection. June 20, http://www.refworld.org/pdfid/5209f0b64.pdf.
- ———. 2013b, October. Lebanon: Community Development Briefing Note.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014a. “UNHCR’s Protection Chief Sees Key Role in Future for Syrian Refugee Women.” 2014 Syria Regional Response Plan: Strategic Overview. http://www.unhcr.org/syriarrp6/docs/Syria-rrp6-full-report.pdf. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- ———. 2014b. Syrian Regional Response – Lebanon. http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/country.php?id=122. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- ———. 2014c. Syrian Regional Response – Lebanon. 2014 UNHCR Country Operations Profile – Lebanon. http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/page?page=49e486676. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- ———. 2014d. Women. http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49c3646c1d9.html. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- UNRWA. 2011. Outline of Protection Initiatives. http://www.unrwa.org/sites/default/files/outline%20of%20protection%20initiatives.pdf. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- ———. 2013a. In Figures. http://www.unrwa.org/sites/default/files/2013042435340.pdf. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- ———. 2013b. Syria Regional Crisis Response, July – December 2013. http://www.unrwa.org/sites/default/files/201306071557.pdf. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- WILPF. 2014. Women Lead to Peace. http://www.wilpfinternational.org/women-lead-to-peace/. Accessed 31 Jan 2014.
- Yuval-Davis, Nira. 1995, February. Citizenship and Difference. Presented at the University of California, Davis; cited in Joseph, S. 1999. Descent of the Nation: Kinship and Citizenship in Lebanon. Citizenship Studies 3(3): 295–318.Google Scholar