The Governance of Concessionary Assets: A Review of the Partnership Between Kenya and the Rift Valley Railways Consortium
This chapter investigates the contractual dynamics of the railway concession between Kenya and the Rift Valley Railways (RVR) Consortium. The chapter reveals political factors such as procurement-related patronage and electoral violence that prevent full implementation of reform. The chapter reveals political factors such as procurement-related patronage and electoral violence that prevent full implementation of the Public Procurement and Disposal Act (PPDA) of 2005. The problems identified in the railroad concession granted to the RVR Consortium in Kenya, however, go beyond political capability to regulate.
KeywordsCorporate Social Responsibility Rift Valley Public Procurement Railway Line Railway System
- Akech, Migai. 2005. Development partners and governance of public procurement in Kenya: Enhancing democracy in the administration of aid. A paper presented at the global administrative law: National and international accountability mechanisms for global regulatory governance conference, NYU School of Law, Institute of International Law and Justice, 22–23 Apr 2005.Google Scholar
- Anyanzwa, James. RVR sale boosts TransCentury’s war chest to Sh. 44 billion. The Standard, May 30. http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/mobile/article/2000122960/rvr-sale-boosts-transcentury-s-war-chest-to-sh44-billion?pageNo=1. 1 July 2014.
- Barkan, Joel. 1991. The rise and fall of the governance realm in Kenya. In Governance and politics in Africa, ed. Goran Hyden and Michael Bratton. Boulder: Lynne Rienner.Google Scholar
- Barkan, Joel (ed.). 1994. Beyond capitalism and communism in Kenya and Tanzania. Nairobi: EAEP.Google Scholar
- Brenninkmeijer, Oliver A.J. 2010. Questions, risks and challenges: Public-private partnerships in Western countries. In Public-private partnerships: Success and failure factors for in-transition countries, ed. Paolo Urio. Lanham: University Press of America.Google Scholar
- Crowther, David, and Güler Aras. 2008. Corporate social responsibility. Denmark: Ventus Publishing APS.Google Scholar
- ———. Kenya Railways Corporation Act, 1978.Google Scholar
- Githae, Robinson. 2013. Opening Speech by Mr. Robinson Githae, the Minister for Finance, during the public-private partnership workshop held on 12th February, 2013 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Nairobi.Google Scholar
- Government of Kenya. Act no. 397, 1978.Google Scholar
- Grosh, Barbara. 1991. Public enterprises in Kenya: What works, what doesn’t and why? Boulder: Lynne Rienner.Google Scholar
- Gross, Jean-German. 2000. Of cattle, farmers, veterinaries and the World Bank: Political economy of veterinary services privatization. In African public administration: A reader, ed. Rwekaza Mukandala. Harare: AAPS Books.Google Scholar
- Herbling, David. 2014. House suspends Safaricom’s security tender. Business Daily, June 5. http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/House-suspends-Safaricom-security-tender/-/539546/2338784/-/rmq48cz/-/index.html. 1 July 2014.
- Holmquist, Frank. 2002. Business and politics in Kenya in the 1990s. Occasional paper, Center of African Studies, University of Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- Juma, Victor. 2013.RVR hits back over threats to cancel contract. Business Daily, July 17. http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/RVR-hits-back-over-threats-to-cancel-contract/-/539550/1918016/-/wikuq9z/-/index.html. 1 August 2013.
- Kebasso, George. 2008. Mwakere assures government won’t revoke concession. Kenya Times Online, August 20. http://mwakwere.blogspot.com/2008/08/kenya-times.html. 1 July 2014.
- Kinyanjui, Ben and Agencies. 2014. Kenya requires $200 billion annually to finance infrastructure. Today Financial News http://todayfinancialnews.com/trade-and-investment/1759-kenya-requires-sh200-billion-annually-to-finance-infrastructure. 14 June 2014.
- Kwamboka, Evelyn. 2009. Reprieve for RVR as court extends order shielding its concession. Standard Digital, February 13. http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/1144006504/reprieve-for-rvr-as-court-extends-order-shielding-its-concession. 1 July 2014.
- Manning, Nick. 2001. The legacy of new public management in developing countries. International Review of Administrative Sciences 67(2): 297.Google Scholar
- McWilliams, Abigail, and Donald Spiegel. 2001. Corporate social responsibility: A theory of firm perspective. Academy of Management 26(1): 117–127.Google Scholar
- Mutegi, Lilian. 2014. Kenya: High Court cancels tender for free laptops project. AllAfrica, September 25. http://allafrica.com/stories/201409250368.html. 1 October 2014.
- Mwiti, Lee. 2013. RVR to keep concession on track amid rising criticism. Business Daily, July 31. http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/RVR-fights-to-keep-concession-on-track-amid-rising-criticism/-/539546/1933142/-/12j02na/-/index.html. 7 June 2014.
- Nation Reporter. 2014. President Kenyatta authorizes Anglo leasing payments. Daily Nation, May 15. http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Anglo-Leasing-Debts-Treasury-Payment/-/1056/2316348/-/o1psn0/-/index.html. 1 July 2014.
- Olowu, Dele. 2002. Introduction to new public management: An African reform paradigm? Africa Development 37(3 4): 1–16.Google Scholar
- Olick, Felix. 2014. China opens multi-billion-shilling purse for Kenyan projects. Standard Digital, May 11. http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000119708/china-opens-multi-billion-shilling-purse-for-kenyan-projects. 1 July 2014.
- Orsbone, D., and R. Gaebler. 1992. Re-inventing government. Reading: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Public Private Infrastructure Advisory Facility. 2010. A PPP against all odds: The Kenya-Uganda rail concession fights for survival. Washington, DC: PPIAF. http://www.ppiaf.org/sites/ppiaf.org/files/publication/Kenya-Uganda%20Rail%20Case%20Study.pdf. 16 June 2014.Google Scholar
- Public Procurement Oversight Authority (PPOA). 2010. War on corruption in public procurement- recent achievements. Presentation to the 3rd East African Procurement Forum 2010 held at White Sands Hotel, Dar-es-Salaam, 29 Sept–1 Octhttp://www.riftvalleyrail.com/content-layouts.
- Railways Africa. 2010. RVR’s fraudulent concession probe stalled. Railways Africa: The Authoritative African Railway Publication, February 12.Google Scholar
- Rift Valley Consortium. Our history. http://www.riftvalleyrail.com/content-layouts.
- Tangri, Roger. 1999. The politics of patronage in Africa: Parastatals, privatization and private enterprise. Trenton: Africa World Press.Google Scholar
- The East African, 1st—7th September 2013.Google Scholar
- Wakabi, Michael. 2013. RVR at crossroads as East Africa goes for standard gauge to fix infrastructure mess. The East African, September 1, 7.Google Scholar
- World Bank (The). 2012. Private investors to raise stake in financing Kenya’s infrastructure. World Bank Press Release, November 15. http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2012/11/15/private-investors-raise-stake-financing-kenyas-infrastructure. 1 July 2014.
- World Bank Institute’s Governance Worldwide Indicators. 2014. http://info.worldbank-org/governance/wgi/index.aspx#home