Transversal Affectivity and the Lobster: Intimate Advances of Deleuze and Guattari, Rodrigo García and La Carnicería Teatro, Jan Lauwers and Needcompany, and Alice in Wonderland
When we buy lobsters from grocers, or have them flown in by FedEx from Maine, or when we choose them from the tank at the seafood restaurant, where they crawl around on top of each other, antennae slowly waving, we experience a distinct and oddly excited perplexity. We might arrive at home with the lobsters in a paper bag or box, still alive, claws softly scraping the paper or cardboard—horror-film like—with the slow but persistent motions lobsters make while living. We take the lobsters out and, claws safely held together with rubber bands, place them on the table or perhaps the floor.
KeywordsStructural Coupling Child Soldier Realist Ontology Pure Immanence Intensive Difference
- Berressem, Hanjo. 2009. Structural Couplings: Radical Constructivism and a Deleuzian Ecologics. In Deleuze/Guattari and Ecology, ed. Bernd Herzogenrath. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Deacon, Terrence W. 2013. Incomplete Nature: How Mind Emerged from Matter. New York: W.W. Norton & Company.Google Scholar
- DeLanda, Manuel. 1997. A Thousand Years of Non-Linear History. Brooklyn: Zone Books.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009a. Deleuze and the Use of the Genetic Algorithm in Architecture. Video of lecture, Columbia University School of Architecture. April 28, 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50-d_J0hKz0. Accessed 15 Oct 2011.
- ———. 2009b. Ecology and Realist Ontology. In Deleuze/Guattari and Ecology, ed. Bernd Herzogenrath. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Gilles. 2002. Francis Bacon: The Logic of Sensation. Trans. Daniel W. Smith. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Gilles, and Félix Guattari. 1983. Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. Trans. Hurley, Mark Seem, and Helen R. Lane. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1987. A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. Trans. Brian Massumi. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Delgado, Maria M., and Dan Rebellato, ed. 2010. Contemporary European Theatre Directors. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Foster Wallace, David. 2011. Consider the Lobster. American Gourmet Magazine, January 31.Google Scholar
- Gener, Randy. 2011. Critical Stages. Art Always Gets Caught Between the Pages of History: A Flemish Coincidence—Interview with Jan Lauwers. June 11, 2011. http://www.criticalstages.org/criticalstages4/plugin/print/?id=28. Acccessed 25 Nov 2011.
- Herzogenrath, Bernd, ed. 2009. Deleuze/Guattari and Ecology. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Lauwers, Jan. The Lobster Shop. Unpublished Script. Courtesy of Needcompany. Needcompany website. http://www.needcompany.org/cgibin/www_edit/projects/nc/scripts/nc.cgi?t=EN&a=v&id JANLA.
- Lee, Tosi. 2004. Fire Down Below and Watering, That’s Life. In Buddha Mind in Contemporary Art, ed. Jacqueline Baas and Mary Jane Jacobs. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Lehmann, Hans-Thies. 2010. Postdramatic Theatre. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Penfield, Wilder. 2013. Human Anatomy and Physiology. OpenStax College, CNX Creative Commons.Google Scholar
- Varela, Francisco, Evan Thompson, and Eleanor Rosch. 1991. The Embodied Mind: Cognitive Science and Human Experience. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar