Part of the Crime Prevention and Security Management book series (CPSM)
- 348 Downloads
Please check hierarchy of section heading levels.
KeywordsMobile Phone Illicit Drug Correctional Institution Female Prisoner Corrupt Conduct
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- ABC2. (2011). CO arrested after delivering contraband. ABC2 [online]. Retrieved July 15, 2011, from http://www.abc2news.com/news/state/co-arrested-for-delivering-contraband.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) (2013). The Health of Australia’s Prisoners 2012. Canberra: AIHW.Google Scholar
- Banks, S. (2011). Allowing phones in the cells might be a sound call. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 26, 2011, from http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/26/local/la-me-0326-banks-20110326.
- BBC News. (2014b). Prisoner Richard Brookhouse jailed for £100m drugs ring. BBC News. Retrieved February 7, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-26085397.
- BBC News. (2015). Prison officer admits selling Jon Venables details to the Sun. BBC News. Retrieved January 20, 2015, from http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30897882.
- Bibby, P. (2013). Drugs in prison readily available, inquest into Anthony Van Rysewyk death finds. Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved July 17, 2013, from http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/drugs-in-prison-readily-available-inquest-into-anthony-van-rysewyk-death-finds-20130717-2q3j4 .html.
- Billings, P. (2015). Police weigh wastewater drug test plan. The Mercury. Retrieved August 12, 2015, from http://www.themercury.com.au/news/scales-of-justice/police-weigh-wastewater-drug-test-plan/story-fnj8cre7-1227479610481.
- Brewer, A., Banta-green, C., Ort, C., Robel, A. and Field, J. (2014). Wastewater testing compared with random urinalyses for the surveillance of illicit drug use in prisons. Drug and Alcohol Review. [advanced access, 25 June].Google Scholar
- Bui, L., & Zapotsky, M. (2015). Men planned to use drones to get contraband into prison, officials say. Washington Post. Retrieved August 24, 2015, from https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/two-men-planned-to-use-a-drone-to-get-drugs-and-porn-into-a-prison-md-authorities-say/2015/08/24/c8e38fc2-4a75-11e5-8ab4-c73967a143d3_story.html.
- Burke, T., & Owen, S. (2010). Cell phones as prison contraband. FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin, 79(7), 10–19.Google Scholar
- Chambers, M. (2010). Coming clean: Combating drug misuse in prisons. London: Policy Exchange.Google Scholar
- Coonan, H. (2004). Time for the States to look for alternatives to mobile phone jammers in prisons. Media release, 23 November, Minister for Communications, Information Technology and the Arts. Retrieved from www.amta.org.au/amta/site/amta/downloads/pdfs.../Coonan.jamming.pdf.Google Scholar
- Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC) (2009). Perceptions of misconduct in Queensland correctional institutions: A survey of custodial officers. CMC: Queensland.Google Scholar
- Daily Mail. (2009). Remote control toy helicopter ‘used to fly drugs into prison.’ Daily Mail [online]. Retrieved January 12, 2009, from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1112673/Re mote-control-toy-helicopter-used-fly-drugs-prison.html.
- Demola, P. (2015). NY prison guard helped escapees in exchange for snitching, art: Documents. Reuters. Retrieved June 25, 2015, from http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/25/us-usa-new-york-prisoners-idUSKBN0P51TI20150625.
- Department of Health. (2015). The facts about ice. Australian Government: National Drugs Campaign. Retrieved September 23, from http://www.drugs.health.gov.au/internet/drugs/publishingcp.nsf/content/facts-about-ice.
- Dolan, K., Khoei, E. M., Brentari, C., & Stevens, A. (2007). Prisons and drugs: A global review of incarceration, drug use and drug services. Oxford: The Beckley Foundation Drug Policy Programme.Google Scholar
- eNCA. (2014). Correctional services officers arrested for smuggling contraband. e-NCA. Retrieved July 11, 2014, from http://www.enca.com/correctional-services-officers-arrested-smuggling-contraband.
- Evershed, N. (2014). Drone used in attempt to smuggle drugs into Melbourne prison, say police. The Guardian [online]. Retrieved March 10, 2014, from http://www.theguardian.c om/world/2014/mar/10/drone-used-in-attempt-to-smuggle-drugs-into-melbourne-prison-say-police.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). (2010a). State corrections officers and others plead guilty in drug trafficking scheme. Press release, FBI, Miami Division. Retrieved February 11, 2010, from https://www.fbi.gov/miami/press-releases/2010/mm021110.htm.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). (2010b). State corrections officers and others plead guilty in drug trafficking scheme. Press release, FBI, Miami Division. Retrieved May 12, 2010, from https://www.fbi.gov/miami/press-releases/2010/mm051210.htm.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). (2011). Corrections officer arrested on heroin charges. Press release, FBI, Boston Division. Retrieved April 18, 2011, from http://www.fbi.gov/boston/press-releases/2011/corrections-officer-arrested-on-heroin-charges.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). (2013b). Nineteen new defendants, Including 14 correctional officers, indicted on charges of federal racketeering in Baltimore city jail investigation. Press release, FBI, Baltimore Division. Retrieved November 21, 2013, from http://www.fbi.gov/baltimore/press-releases/2013/nineteen-new-defendants-includi ng-14-correctional-officers-indicted-on-charges-of-federal-racketeering-in-baltimore-city-jail-investigation.
- Fitzgerald, J., Louie, R., Rosenthal, D., & Crofts, N. (1999). The meaning of the rush for initiates to injecting drug use. Contemporary Drug Problems, 26(3), 481–504.Google Scholar
- Gardner, A. (2015). Smuggling fears as TEN drones fly into prisons carrying phones, drugs and cameras. Daily Mirror. Retrieved September 5, 2015, from http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/smuggling-fears-ten-drones-fly-6390632.
- Government of South Australia, Correctional Services Act 1982Google Scholar
- Holderhead, S. (2013). One in five inmates take drugs in South Australian prisons. AdelaideNow. Retrieved September 29, 2013, from http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/one-in-five-inmates-take-drugs-in-south-australian-prisons/story-fni6uo1m-1226 729576884.
- Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC), NSW (2006). Report on investigation into the case management and administration of community service orders. Sydney: ICAC.Google Scholar
- Independent Commission Against Corruption (2010). Investigation into the smuggling of contraband into the John Morony Correctional Centre. Sydney: Government of New South Wales.Google Scholar
- Jackson, W. (2013). Prisons get a new way to stop inmates from using cell phones. GCN. Retrieved September 5, 2013, from http://gcn.com/articles/2013/09/05/prisoncellphones.aspx.
- Jedra, C. (2015). Forty-four charged in Baltimore jail scandal: Here’s how cases ended. The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved July 11, 2015, from http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/sun-investigates/bs-md-sun-investigates-jail-20150711-story.html.
- Johnson, E. (2013). Georgia men used toy helicopter in botched prison smuggling-police. Reuters. Retrieved November 28, 2013, from http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/28/us-usa-georgia-helicopter-idUSBRE9AR06L20131128.
- Liebling, A., Price, D., & Shefer, G. (2011). The prison officer. New York: Willan Publishing.Google Scholar
- MacAlpine, I. (2015). Drone used to drop contraband onto prison yard. Kingston Whig-Standard. Retrieved August 20, 2015, from http://www.thewhig.com/2015/08/20/drone-used-to-drop-contraband-onto-prison-yard.
- Macaulay, M. (2011). Corruption in the UK: Part two—Assessment of key sectors. Berlin: Transparency International UK.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, J. (2014). Lawsuit: Prison awash in contraband, weapons, filth. USA Today & The (Jackson) Clarion-Ledger. Retrieved September 26, 2014, from http://www.usatoday.com/story/ne ws/nation/2014/09/26/private-prison-lawsuit/16257795/.
- Montgomery, M. (2011). Prison union balks at staff searches. California Watch. Retrieved March 13, 2011, from http://prisoncellphones.com/blog/2011/05/13/prison-staff-balks-at-contraband-cell-phone-searches/.
- National Corrections Drug Strategy (2008). National corrections drug strategy 2006–2009. Canberra: Commonwealth Government of Australia.Google Scholar
- New Zealand Herald. (NZH). (2009). Man caught trying to smuggle LSD worth up to $2.5m into prison. New Zealand Herald [online]. Retrieved December 23, 2009, from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10617225.
- New Zealand Herald. (NZH). (2010). Prison guards charged with smuggling contraband into jail. New Zealand Herald [online]. Retrieved December 6, 2010, from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10692510.
- Office of Inspector General. (2003). The federal bureau of prisons’ drug interdiction activities. U.S. Department of Justice, Evaluation and Inspections Division, Report No. I-2003-002.Google Scholar
- Penfold, C., Turnbull, P., & Webster, R. (2005). Tackling prison drug markets: An exploratory qualitative study. Home Office Online Report No. 39/05. London: Institute for Criminal Policy Research.Google Scholar
- Podmore, J. (2012). Out of sight, out of mind: Why Britain’s prisons are failing. London: Biteback Publishing.Google Scholar
- Rodas, A., Bode, A., & Dolan, K. (2011). Supply, demand and harm reduction strategies in Australian prisons: An update. University of New South Wales: National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre.Google Scholar
- Souryal, S. (2007). Ethics in criminal justice: In search of the truth. Cincinnati: Anderson.Google Scholar
- Sykes, G. (1958). The society of captives: A study of a maximum security prison. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Tangel, A., & King, K. (2015). New York prison guard exchanged contraband for paintings, authorities say. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved June 25, 2015, from http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-prison-break-corrections-officer-exchanged-tools-for-paintings-14352408 83.
- Thompkins, D. (2008). The tobacco ban: Manifest and latent failures of a social control policy. Saarbrücken: VDM Publishing.Google Scholar
- Vaughn, A. (2011). Federal prison guard arrests increase dramatically, report finds. Los Angeles Times [online]. Retrieved September 29, 2011, from http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/29/nation/la-na-prison-guards-20110930.
- Victorian Ombudsman (2008). Investigation into contraband entering a prison and related issues. Melbourne: Victorian Ombudsman.Google Scholar
- Warrington Guardian. (2013). Two week hearing to decide fate of the Diane and Richard Brookhouse drugs ring starts. Warrington Guardian. Retrieved from http://www.warrington guardian.co.uk/news/10965307.LiveBrookhouse_sentencing/?ref=var_6.Google Scholar
© The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2016