Part of the Crime Prevention and Security Management book series (CPSM)
- 361 Downloads
An understanding of the concept of inappropriate relationships is fundamental to making sense of many different forms of correctional corruption. As the NSW ICAC observed:
KeywordsSexual Relationship Correctional Setting Community Correction Male Prisoner Female Officer
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Adshead, G. (2013a). Jail guards linked to organised crime figures. The West Australian. Retrieved June 29, 2013, from https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/17793971/jail-guards-linked-to-organised-crime-figures/.
- Alleyne, R. (2012). Prison guards caught having “inappropriate relationships ” with inmates. Daily Telegraph. Retrieved June 8, 2012, from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9318554/Prison-guards-caught-having-inappropriate-relationships-with-inmates.html.
- Australian Institute of Criminology and Pricewaterhouse Coopers. (2003). Serious fraud in Australia and New Zealand. Research and Public Policy Series No. 48. Canberra: AIC.Google Scholar
- Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI) (2013). CPNI insider data collection study: Report of main findings. London: CPNI.Google Scholar
- Commons, A. (2012). Confessions of a prison officer: The inside story. Australia: Book Pal.Google Scholar
- Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department (2014). Managing the insider threat to your business: A personnel security handbook. Canberra: Attorney-General’s Department.Google Scholar
- Crawley, E., & Crawley, P. (2008). Understanding prison officers: Culture, cohesion and conflicts. In J. Bennett, B. Crewe, & A. Wahidin (Eds.), Understanding prison staff. Cullompton: Willan Publishing.Google Scholar
- Crewe, B. (2009). The prisoner society. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC) (2009). Perceptions of misconduct in Queensland correctional institutions: A survey of custodial officers. CMC: Queensland.Google Scholar
- Eklin, T. (2015). Powerlessness within a budget-driven paradigm: A grounded theory leadership study from the perspective of Michigan corrections officers. Ph.D. dissertation, Antioch University, USA.Google Scholar
- Elliott, W. (2006). Power and control tactics employed by prison inmates: A case study. Federal Probation, 70(1), 45–48.Google Scholar
- Farber, B. (2007). Civil liability for use of tasers, stunguns and other electronic control devices—Part III: Use against detainees and disabled or disturbed persons. AELE Monthly Law Journal, 5(1), 101–109.Google Scholar
- Felson, M., & Clarke, R. (1998). Opportunity makes the thief: Practical theory for crime prevention. Police Research Series Paper No. 98. London: Home Office.Google Scholar
- Fernandez, C. (2012). Women police officer, 27, who shared hours of intimate phone calls with four inmates is jailed for a year. Daily Mail [Online]. Retrieved June 7, 2012, from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155463/Woman-prison-officer-27-shared-hours-intimate-phone-calls-inmates-jailed-year.html.
- Fraser A. (2010) Lunatic Soup. Melbourne, Hardie Grant booksGoogle Scholar
- GAO. (1999). Women in prison: Sexual misconduct by correctional staff (report to the honourable Eleanor Holmes Norto, House of Representatives, US). Washington: U.S. Government Accountability Office.Google Scholar
- Heyward, G. (2011). Corruption officer: From jail guard to perpetrator inside Rikers Island. New York: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) (2015). Organised crime group cultivation of public sector employees. Melbourne: IBAC.Google Scholar
- Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC), NSW (2006). Report on investigation into the case management and administration of community service orders. Sydney: ICAC.Google Scholar
- Independent Commission Against Corruption (2010). Investigation into the smuggling of contraband into the John Morony Correctional Centre. Sydney: Government of New South Wales. Government of South Australia, Correctional Services Act 1982.Google Scholar
- Informal Communicator (2015), former prison officerGoogle Scholar
- Jones, C. (2014). Prison gangs and prison governance. Griffith Asia Quarterly, 2(1), 57–74.Google Scholar
- Kaminski, M. (2004). Games prisoners play: The tragicomic worlds of Polish prisons. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Liebling, A., Price, D., & Shefer, G. (2011). The prison officer. New York: Willan Publishing.Google Scholar
- McIlwain, G. (2004). Professional misconduct between inmates and non-custodial staff: A study of Queensland’s correctional centres. Ph.D. thesis, Griffith University, Queensland, Australia.Google Scholar
- Podmore, J. (2012). Out of sight, out of mind: Why Britain’s prisons are failing. London: Biteback Publishing.Google Scholar
- Rene West, C. (2004). Caught in the struggle: The real Rikers Island—An officer’s memoir. New York: Premadonna Publishing.Google Scholar
- Sabau, E. (2013). Fraud risk management—Human rationalization assessment. Business Excellence and Management, 3(1), 41–56.Google Scholar
- Simonian, N., & Smith, B. (2006). Integrity in jail operations: Addressing employee/offender relationships. American Jails. Retrieved July/August 9–19, from http://www.prearesourcecenter.org/sites/default/files/library/ajafinal.pdf.
- Sykes, G. (1958). The society of captives: A study of a maximum security prison. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Victorian Ombudsman (2012). The death of Mr Carl Williams at HM Barwon prison—Investigation into corrections Victoria. Melbourne: Victorian Ombudsman.Google Scholar
- Yakas, B. (2015). Officials say ‘sex-crazed’ prison worker helped murderers escape. Gothamist. Retrieved June 12, 2015, from http://gothamist.com/2015/06/12/officials_say_sex-crazed_prison_wor.php.
- Zoukis, C. (2015). Forty defendants, including 24 guards, convicted in widespread corruption scandal at Baltimore city jail. Prison Legal News, 12 April 2015.Google Scholar
© The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2016