Translating Austerity: Theatrical Responses to the Financial Crisis
- 634 Downloads
The imposition of austerity measures on economies struggling to achieve financial growth has underscored the contemporary social and economic landscape of our times. In this chapter, it is the theatricalization of austerity that forms O’Thomas’s analysis of twenty-first-century drama. After providing an overview of plays that were conceived as direct attempts to explain and interrogate the financial crisis, the chapter investigates the work of both Theatre Uncut and the Royal Court Theatre’s season of new work originating from Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain (known collectively as PIIGS). Through the presentation of austerity on the stage, O’Thomas highlights the critical role that theatre translation plays in interrogating notions of both community and nationalism.
KeywordsAusterity Translation Theatrical translation Royal Court
- Agamben, Giorgio (1993) The Coming Community (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press).Google Scholar
- Flourakis, Andreas (2013) I Want a Country, dir. trans. A. K. Campbell, London, Richard Twyman: The Royal Court Theatre. First performance: 10 July 2013.Google Scholar
- Fotheringham, Alasdair (2012) ‘Circle or Vegetable Stalls? Theatre Dishes out Carrots Instead of Tickets in Tax Protest at Ticketing Tax’, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/circle-or-vegetable-stalls-theatre-dishes-out-carrots-instead-of-tickets-in-tax-protest-at-ticketing-tax-8307216.html.
- Jakobson, Roman (1959) ‘On Linguistic Aspects of Translation’, in R. Schulte and J. Biguenet (eds) Theories of Translation: An Anthology of Essays from Dryden to Derrida (Chicago: University of Chicago Press).Google Scholar
- Keay, Douglas (1987) Margaret Thatcher interviewed in Woman’s Own, 23 September, www.margaretthatcher.org/speeches/displaydocument.asp?docid=106689.
- Krugman, Paul (2012) End This Depression Now! (New York: W. W. Norton & Company).Google Scholar
- Lustgarten, Anders (2011) 'The Fat Man', in H. Price (ed.) Theatre Uncut (London: Oberon), pp. 39–46.Google Scholar
- Osborne, George (2014) Speech – New Year Economy Speech by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/new-year-economy-speech-by-the-chancellor-of-the-exchequer.
- Raw, Laurence (2012) Translation, Adaptation and Transformation (London: Bloomsbury).Google Scholar
- Roubini, Nouriel and Stephen Mihm (2010) Crisis Economics: A Crash Course in the Future of Finance (London: Penguin).Google Scholar
- Scharpf, Fritz W. (2013) ‘Monetary Union, Fiscal Crisis, and the Disabling of Democratic Accountability’, in W. Streeck and A. Schäfer (eds) Politics in the Age of Austerity (Cambridge: Polity), pp. 108–42.Google Scholar
- Stiglitz, Joseph (2010) Freefall: Free Markets and the Sinking of the World Economy (New York: W. W. Norton & Company).Google Scholar
- Stiglitz, Joseph (2012) ‘Austerity – Europe’s Man-made Disaster’, Social Europe Journal 8, http://www.socialeurope.eu/2012/05/austerity-europes-man-made-disaster/.