Where Are the Men? Reflections on Manhood, Masculinities and Gender Justice
The chapter looks at male body-in-resistance to the current inequitable and unjust world order, seeking a humane, sustainable alternative. It is a (self-)reflection on masculinities, based on conversations the author has had over the last three decades during his work as a gender justice, GBV and SRHR consultant, trainer, lecturer and activist.
KeywordsTrade Fair Gender Identity Gender Equality Civil Society Organization Financial Action Task Force
References and Sources
- Batliwala, Srilatha. (2014). Carving A Space: Reflections On The 2nd MenEngage Symposium, AWID file 19/12/2014 www.awid.org/news-and-analysis/carving-space-reflections-2nd-menengage-symposiumGoogle Scholar
- Imam, A., S. Matsvai and J. Reynders. (1998). Evaluating Social Change Networks: Women in Law and Development in Africa” in Karl, Marilee (ed.) Measuring the Immeasurable, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation of Networks. New Delhi, India: Women’s Feature Service.Google Scholar
- Levtov, R., Gaag N. Van der, Greene M., Kaufman M., and Barker G. (2015). State of the World’s Fathers: A MenCare Advocacy Publication. Washington, DC: Promundo, Rutgers, Save the Children, Sonke Gender Justice, and the MenEngage Alliance, Google Scholar
- MenEngage. (2014). Delhi Declaration and Call to Action, MenEngage conference: “Men and boys for gender justice”, http://www.menengagedilli2014.net/delhi-declaration-and-call-to-action.html
- Meulenbelt, A. and Römkens, R. (2015). Het F-boek, feminism van nu in woord en beeld (The F-book, today’s feminism in words and images), Atria/Spectrum Houten-Antwerpen.Google Scholar
- Molyneux, M. and S. Razavi (eds). (2002). Gender Justice, Development, and Rights, Oxford Series on Democratization, Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Okun, Rob A.(ed). (2014). Voice Male, the untold story of the profeminist men’s movement, Interlink Books, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- Promundo. (2011). Evolving Men: Initial Results from the International Men and Gender Equality Survey (IMAGES) IMAGES International Men and Gender Equality Survey, created by Promundo and the International Centre for Research on Women (ICRW) http://promundoglobal.org/programs/international-men-and-gender-equality-survey-images/
- Reynders, J. (2011). Monitoring and Evaluation: Measuring for change. In Wangulu, E.F. (ed), HIV and culture confluence: Cross-cultural experiences on HIV, gender and education. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: KIT Publishers.Google Scholar
- Reynders, J. (2012). The Oxfam Novib Innovation Fund 2007–2010 Evaluation of the ‘triangle approach’ linking gender justice, quality education and Sexuality/SRHR and HIV prevention. The Hague http://www.oxfamnovib.nl/redactie/downloads/jaarverslagen/landenevaluaties/oxfam-novib-innovation-fund-evaluation-en.pdf, accessed February 13, 2016.
- UN Partners4Prevention. (2014). UN Multi-country Study on Men and Violence in Asia and the Pacific http://www.partners4prevention.org/about-prevention/research/men-and-violence-study
- Van der Veen, H.C.J. and S. Bogaerts. (2010). Huiselijk geweld in Nederland (domestic violence in the Netherlands), Den Haag, The Netherlands, (Ministerie van Justitie (WODC) and Universiteit van Tilburg (Intervict). Available on www.wodc.nl.Google Scholar