EU Operational Program ‘Education for Competitiveness’ and Its Impact on Sustainable Development
- 1.1k Downloads
The purpose of this chapter contains three main points: (1) to present the relation between sustainability and excellence of the higher education institutions (HEIs), (2) to show their impact on the sustainability of enterprise excellence, and (3) to outline the role of the EU Operational Program ‘Education for Competitiveness’ in Czech Republic concerning (1) and (2). The chapter consists of several sections. The first section outlines the substance of sustainable development. The second section deals with sustainable development of higher education in general and in the Czech Republic in particular. The third section illustrates this using the example of the University of Economics in Prague. The fourth section presents the European Union’s Operational Program ‘Education for Competitiveness’ and the final fifth section adds several examples of HEI innovation process.
KeywordsCompetitiveness Education for competitiveness operational program Higher education Innovation
The research was supported by the Internal Grant Agency of the University of Economics projects F6/11/2013 ‘Knowledge Based Modeling of Managerial Processes’ and F6/45/2015 ‘HEI Quality–perception, management’.
- Brundtland Commission. 1987. Our common future. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Cortese, Anthony D. 2003. The critical role of higher education in creating a sustainable future. Planning for Higher Education 31(3): 15–22.Google Scholar
- FM VSE Innovation. 2009. In http://projekty.fm.vse.cz/projekt-isovp/ (in Czech).
- Kotler, Philip, and Karen F.A. Fox. 1985. Strategic Marketing for Educational Institutions. USA: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Kubiszewski, Cutler Cleveland–Ida, and Cutler J. Cleveland. 2012. United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Encyclopedia of Earth. http://www.eoearth.org/view/article/156773/, 20 November 2014.
- Kurikova, Veronika, and Monika Ulrichova. 2012. Innovation of the Study Program ‘Transcultural Communication’ Taught in English (in Czech). Czech Ministry of Education and Sport.Google Scholar
- Svoboda, Petr, and Jan Cerny. 2013a. Customer satisfaction and loyalty in higher education-a case study over a five-year academic experience. In KDIR/KMIS, 431–436.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013b. Quality of higher education institutions as a factor of students’ decision-making process. In International Conference on Intellectual Capital and Knowledge Management and Organizational Learning, 622. UK: Academic Conferences International Limited.Google Scholar
- Svoboda, Petr, Jan Voracek, and Michal Novak. 2012. Online marketing in higher education. In Knowledge Management, 1145–1152. Cartagena: Universidad Politécnica.Google Scholar
- Trojan, Jan. 2011. Innovation of the study program of the college of business and hotel management under the European social fund. In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Teaching of Tourism, Hotel and Restaurant Services. Brno: VSOH.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. 2004. Higher education for sustainable development. In Education for Sustainable Development Information Brief. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- ———. 2005. United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development 2005–2014: Draft International Implementation Scheme. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar