Introduction: Conceptualising Mental Health in the Twenty-First Century
2016, Beachy Head, East Sussex, England. James, stinking to high heaven, stands on the cliff edge, his eyes fixed on a boat far out to sea. He’s about to step out. He can see a bridge that leads to his personal pirate ship. He shouts back to a woman begging him to stay put. ‘Don’t worry, it’s all going to be okay mum .’
KeywordsMental Health Academic Psychiatry Private Equity Mental Distress Mental Health Practice
- 1.Breggin, P. R. (1994). Toxic psychiatry: Why therapy, empathy and love must replace the drugs, electroshock, and biochemical theories of the “new psychiatry”. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- 2.Day, E. (2008). He was bad, so they put an ice pick in his brain… The Observer [Internet], Sunday, 13 January. http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/jan/13/neuroscience.medicalscience
- 4.NSUN. (2013). The government’s mental health strategy is failing 2013. 19 July. http://www.nsun.org.uk/news/nsun-members-say-mental-health-strategy-is-failing/
- 5.Feltham, C. (2013). Answering critiques of counselling and counselling psychology. The Journal of Critical Psychology, Counselling and Psychotherapy, 13(2), 73.Google Scholar
- 8.Perry, E, Barber, J, England, E. (2013). A review of values-based commissioning in England. http://www.nsun.org.uk/assets/downloadableFiles/values-based-commissioning-report-20132.pdf Accessed 20/11/2015.
- 10.Moloney, P. (2013). The therapy industry: The irresistible rise of the talking cure, and why it doesn’t work. London: Pluto.Google Scholar
- 11.World Health Organization. (2013). Review of social determinants and the health divide in the WHO European Region.Google Scholar
- 12.Bhugra, D., & Carlile, A. (2013). Starting today: The future of mental health services. https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/sites/default/files/starting-today.pdf accessed-20/11/15.
- 13.Whitely, M. (2012). Will the backlash against DSM-5 be the downward tipping point for international ADHD prescribing rates? Journal of Critical Psychology Counselling and Psychotherapy, 12(1), 26.Google Scholar
- 14.NCVO. (2014). How many voluntary organisations are active in the UK?: NCVO UK Civil Society Almanac. Retrieved March 11, 2015, from http://data.ncvo.org.uk/a/almanac14/how-many-voluntary-organisations-are-active-in-the-uk-3/