The Contemporary Context of Youth Participation and Identities: Challenging the Status Quo
- 292 Downloads
During her speech setting out her vision for the future of the state education system in England the recently appointed Conservative Prime Minister, Theresa May (2016-ongoing), stated that her key aim is to achieve a fair and meritocratic system:
- Bourdieu, P., & Passeron, J. C. (1977) Reproduction in Education, Society and Culture. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Fraser, N. (1997) Justice Interrupts: Critical Reflections on the “Postsocialist” Condition. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Giddens, A. (1991) Modernity and Self-Identity. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Gove, M. (2011a) ‘The moral purpose of school reform’. Address at the National College for School Leadership, Birmingham, 16 June. Online. www.education.gov.uk/inthenews/speeches/a0077859/the-moral-purpose-of-school-reform (accessed 6 January 2017).
- Gove, M. (2011b) ‘Oral statement on the schools White Paper’. Department for Education, 9 February. Online: www.education.gov.uk/schools/toolsandinitiatives/schoolswhitepaper/a0068680/oral-statement (accessed 6 January 2017).
- HM Government. (2016) English Apprenticeships: Our 2020 Vision. London: The Stationery Office.Google Scholar
- Hoskins, K., & Barker, B. (2014) Education and Social Mobility: Dreams of Success. London/Staffordshire: IOE and Trentham Books.Google Scholar
- Lillicot, A. (2016) ‘Theresa May’s ‘meritocracy’ is a recipe for Darwinian dystopia’. The Telegraph 12 September. Online: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/12/theresa-mays-meritocracy-is-a-recipe-for-darwinian-dystopia/, accessed 1 October 2016.
- Mirza, H. (2009) Race, gender and educational desire: why Black women succeed and fail. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Reay, D., Crozier, G., & Clayton, J. (2010) ‘“Fitting in” or “standing out’: working-class students in UK higher education’ in British Educational Research Journal, Vol. 32 (1): 1–19.Google Scholar
- Reay, D., Crozier, G., & James, D. (2013) ‘White Middle-class Identities and Urban Schooling’ in British Journal of Educational Studies, Vol. 62 (2): 249–252.Google Scholar
- Rollock, N., Gillborn, D., Vincent, C., & Ball, S. J. (2014) The Colour of Class The Educational Strategies of the Black Middle Classes. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Williams-Grut, T. (2015) ‘France and Greece are dragging down European manufacturing’. 1 September. Online: http://uk.businessinsider.com/european-manufacturing-pmi-for-august-italy-spain-germany-2015-9 (accessed 17 November 2016).
- Young, I. M. (1990) Justice and the Politics of Difference. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar