Grassroots Governance Reform in Urban China
- 387 Downloads
Trott offers an analysis of China’s urban grassroots governance reform known as community construction (shequ jianshe). Contrasting these recent institutional changes with the introduction of Western-style governance reforms in the years leading up to 1911, the chapter highlights the domestic processes underlying the current reforms. Spurred by the post-Mao socio-economic transformation, community construction represents efforts to reconfigure grassroots political institutions to new realities. Tracing the reforms back over several decades reveals an incremental process of institutional adaptation marked by distinct stages. Local needs and experimentation interact with central priorities and processes to yield a home-grown pool of institutional models. Whether these incremental changes can influence the principles and practices of one-party rule remain to be seen.
KeywordsCommunity Service Work Unit Political Reform Civil Affair District Government
- People’s Republic of China, Beijing District Party official [interview by Stephen Trott], Beijing, November 2004. Google Scholar
- People’s Republic of China, Ministry of Civil Affairs (MOCA) official (2005) [Interview by Stephen Trott] Beijing, July.Google Scholar
- People’s Republic of China, Ministry of Civil Affairs (MOCA), Commentator (September 1990) Ba xuanchuan guanqie ‘juweihui zuzhifa’ yinxiang shenru [Use propaganda to incite deeper implementation of the ‘Residents’ Committee Law’] Zhongguo Minzheng [China’s Civil Affairs].Google Scholar
- People’s Republic of China, MOCA, Grassroots Government Construction Branch. (September 1991) Cui Naifu buzhang guanyu chengshi jiceng zuzhi jianshe gongzuo de jianghua [Minister Cui Naifu’s remarks on work of building grassroots urban organization.] Chengxiang Jiceng Zhengquan Jianshe Gongzuo Jianbao [Urban and Rural Grassroots Government Construction Work] 4, No. 9), www.chinarural.org/newsinfo.
- People’s Republic of China, MOCA, Grassroots Government Construction Branch (1992) Shijian yu Sikao–Zhongguo Jiceng Zhengquan Yantaohui 1992 nian nianhui lilunji [Practice and Reflection–Proceedings of 1992 Annual Symposium on Grassroots Government Construction], www.chinarural.org/newsinfo.
- People’s Republic of China, MOCA, MOCA official Mingliang Zhang’s speech (c. 2001) Hubei Sheng chengxiang jiceng zizhi zuzhi jianshe xinxi wang, transcribed and published online by Hubei Province Urban & Rural Construction of Grassroots Self Governance Organizations Information Network [MOCA, Document #27 (2010), Article 14].Google Scholar
- People’s Republic of China, MOCA (2003) Ministry of Civil Affairs Statistical Yearbook (Beijing: Zhongguo Tongji Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- People’s Republic of China, MOCA (October 2005) Guanyu Shequ Jianshe Qingkuang de Baogao [Report on the status of community construction], www.ndre.gov.cn.
- People’s Republic of China, MOCA (2008) Statistical Yearbook (Beijing: Zhongguo Tongji Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- People’s Republic of China, MOCA (26 August 2010) Guanyu jiaqiang he gaijin chengshi shequ jumin weiyuanhui jianshe gongzuo de yijian [Opinions on strengthening and advancing work on urban community residents’ committee construction]. Central Document 27, 2010 of the General Offices of the Communist Party Central Committee and State Council.Google Scholar
- People’s Republic of China, MOCA (2011) Guanyu jin yi bu chengxiang jumin zuidi shenghuo baozhang biaozhun zhidu he tiaozheng gongzuo de zhidao yijian [Guidance on the further regulation of the urban and rural resident MLG standard system and adjustment work, www.mca.gov.cn [Accessed 19 May 2011].
- People’s Republic of China, National People’s Congress (NPC) (1989) Organic Law on Urban Residents’ Committees. Google Scholar
- People’s Republic of China, State Statistical Bureau (1992) Chengshi Tongji Nianjian [Cities’ Statistical Yearbook] (Beijing: Zhongguo Tongji Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- People’s Republic of China, State Statistical Bureau (1996) Zhongguo Chengshi Tongji Nianjian [China Municipal Statistics Yearbook, 1996].Google Scholar
- World Bank (March 2009) ‘From poor areas to poor people: China’s evolving poverty reduction agenda--An assessment of poverty and inequality in China.’ (Washington: World Bank), www.siteresources.worldbank.org.
- Renmin Ribao [People’s Daily] (August 26, 2006) 'Quanguo jiedao shequ dangjian gongzuo qude mingshi chengxiao' [Clear results in party’s national street office and community party building work], http://www.hefei.gov.cn/n1070/n304559/n311446/n316458/n317058/ 6673559.html. Google Scholar
- Xinhuanet(15 September 2004) ‘Hu Jintao zai jinian quanguo renda chengli 50 zhou nian dahui shang de jianghua’ [Hu Jintao’s speech commemorating the 50 year anniversary of the establishment of the National People’s Congress]Google Scholar
- Benewick, R. and Takahara, A. (2002) ‘Eight grannies with nine teeth between them: Community construction in China,’ Journal of Chinese Political Science, 7(1–2).Google Scholar
- Bianco, L. (2007) Les origines de la révolution chinoise 1915–1949 [Origins of the Chinese Revolution 1915–1949] (rev. ed.) (Paris: Éditions Gallimard).Google Scholar
- Chairang, D., Li, B., et al., (eds) (2003) Chengshi Shequ Jianshe Duben [Urban Community Construction Reader] (Beijing: Zhongguo Shehui Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- Chen, M. (1993) Shequ jianshe de jiben tezheng ji qi yunxing jizhi de tansuo [Exploration of basic characteristics and operating procedures of community construction]. In Ministry of Civil Affairs (MOCA) National Conference on Community Construction. Hangzhou, September, 1993, www.chinarural.org/newsinfo.
- Dong, H. (22 October 2002) ‘Shisanjie sizhong quanhui yilai shequ dangjian chengjiu zongshu’ [Outline of results on community party construction since the 4th Plenum of the 13th Central Committee] Renmin Ribao (People’s Daily), www.people.com.cn.
- Göbel, C. and Ong, L. (August 2012) ‘Social Unrest in China,’ Europe China Research Advice Network (ECRAN), London, www.euecran.eu/LongPapers.
- Han, J. (14 March 2012) ‘Shequ dangjian: yidian jitong’ Dang de Shenghuo [Party Life], www.dangjian.people.com.cn.
- Huang, X. (2002) Chengshi fazhanzhong de shequ jianshe [Community construction in developing cities], (Beijing: China Cities Press). Google Scholar
- Huntington, S. P. (1968) Political Order in Changing Societies (New Haven: Yale University Press).Google Scholar
- Huntington, S. P. and Nelson, J. (1976) No Easy Choice: Political Participation in Developing Countries (Cambridge: Harvard University Press).Google Scholar
- Lei, J., Wang, S., and Liu, J. (eds) (2001) Zhuanxingzhong de chengshi jiceng shequ zuzhi: Beijing shi jicengshequ zuzhi yu shequ fazhan yanjiu [Grassroots urban community organization in transitional China: Study of community development and organization in Beijing’s grassroots communities] (Beijing: Beijing University Press).Google Scholar
- Li, F. (2005) ‘Urban Community Residents’ committee Electoral System Reform.’ In Li, F., (ed.) Zhongguo Chengshi Xuangju Zhidu Gaige [Reform of China’s Electoral System] (Shanghai: Shanghai Jiaotong University).Google Scholar
- Li, K. (2003) ‘1999nian Zhongguo chengshi shequ jianshe gongzuo baogao’ [1999 Report on China’s urban community construction work]. Reprinted in Ministry of Civil Affairs, Grassroots Regime and Community Construction Branch. Zhongguo Shequ Jianshe Nianjian [Chinese Community Construction Yearbook] (Beijing: Zhongguo Shehui Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- Li, Z. (September 1993) ‘Shequ jianshe de kexingxing de chutan’ [Preliminary exploration of the possibility of community construction]. Paper presented at a Ministry of Civil Affairs conference on Community Construction, Hangzhou, www.chinarural.org/newsinfo.
- Mitter, R. (December 2011) ‘1911: The Unanchored Chinese Revolution,’ The China Quarterly, 208.Google Scholar
- Naughton, B. (1995) Growing Out of the Plan: Chinese Economic Reform, 1978–1993 (New York: Cambridge University Press).Google Scholar
- Read, B. (2012) Roots of the State: Neighbourhood Organization and Social Networks in Beijing and Taipei (Stanford: Stanford University Press).Google Scholar
- Streeck, W. and Thelen, K. (2005) Beyond Continuity: Institutional Change in Advanced Economies (Oxford: Oxford University Press).Google Scholar
- Thompson, R. (1995) China’s Local Councils in the Age of Constitutional Reform, 1898–1911 (Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press).Google Scholar
- Trott, S. (June 2006) ‘Political Reform in China’s Cities: Introducing Direct Community Elections.’ Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Political Science Association, York University, Toronto.Google Scholar
- Trott, S. (April 2008) ‘Training the State: NGOs in China’s Urban Governance Reform.’ paper presented at Workshop on China’s Political Reform, University of Toronto.Google Scholar
- Tsering, D. and Li, B. (eds) (2001) Chengshi Shequ Jianshe Duben [Urban Community Construction Reader] (Beijing: Zhongguo Shehui Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- Wang, D. (September 1990) ‘Guanyu jumin weiyuanhui jianshe zhiduhua guifanhui wenti de sikao’ [Reflections the systematization and regularization in the construction of Residents’ committees] Zhongguo Minzheng (China’s Civil Affairs).Google Scholar
- Wang, Q., Cheng, H. and Yan, J. (eds) (2001) Shequ Jianshe yu Fazhan Duben [Community Construction and Development Reader] (Beijing: Zhongyang Dangxiao Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- Wang, Q. and Liu. X. (eds) (2004) Zhongguo shequ jianshe moshi yanjiu [Study of models of Community Construction in China] (Beijing: Zhongguo Shehui Kexue Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- Wei, N. (2003) Shequ Zuzhi yu Shequ Fazhan [Community Organization and Community Development] (Beijing: Hongqi Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- Yan, H. (ed.) (2002) Woguo chengshi shequ fazhan zhengce yanjiu [Study on China’s Urban Community Development Policies] (Beijing: Zhongguo Jihua Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- Zhang, M. (ed.) (2003) Xinbian Chengshi Shequ Jianshe Duben [New Edition Reader in Urban Community Construction] (Beijing: Zhongguo Shehui Chubanshe).Google Scholar
- Zhishen, L. (September 1993) ‘Shequ jianshe de kexingxing de chutan’ [Preliminary exploration of the possibility of community construction] Paper presented at MOCA conference on Community Construction (Hangzhou), www.chinarural.org/newsinfo.