Commentaries on retrospect and prospects for IS research
I have read with great interest Allen S. Lee’s content-rich and thought-provoking retrospect and prospect IS paper. The perspective I have taken in reading the paper has been as a member of the IS research community (‘a native’) especially interested in the question of how to do research. In his paper, Lee takes, as his opening premise, the necessity for reengineering the IS research enterprise. In the retrospect part, he explores the distinction between ‘theories in use’ and ‘espoused theories’ for key concepts such as ‘information’, ‘system’, ‘theory’, ‘organization’ and ‘relevance’. In the prospect part, he charts a course for the future development of the IS research discipline modeled on research disciplines found in professions such as medicine, engineering, architecture and law.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Checkland, P. (1981). Systems Thinking, Systems Practice, Chichester: J. Wiley.Google Scholar
- Nagel, E. (1961). The Structure of Science: Problems in scientific explanation, London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.Google Scholar
- Shannon, C.E. and Weaver, W. (1949). The Mathematical Theory of Communication, Urbana: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Simon, H.A. (1996). The Sciences of the Artificial, 3rd edn, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Stamper, R. (1973). Information in Business and Administrative Systems, London: Batsford.Google Scholar
- Wood-Harper, T., Antill, L. and Avison, D.E. (1985). Information Systems Definition: The multiview approach, Oxford: Blackwell Scientific.Google Scholar
- Bacon, F. (1626/2004). The Instauratio Magna Part II: Novum Organum and Associated Texts, in G. Rees, (ed.) The Oxford Francis Bacon, Volume XI, Oxford: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Davison, R.M. and Martinsons, M.G. (2010). Inclusive or Exclusive? Methodological Practice and Policy for Organisationally and Socially Relevant IS Research, in 16th Americas Conference on Information Systems (Lima, Peru), 12–15 August, [www document] http://aisel.aisnet.org/amcis2010/111/.
- Machiavelli, N. (1532/2004). Il Principe — The Prince, UK: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Zamyatin, Y. (1921/1972). We, UK: Penguin Books.Google Scholar